Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Why not purchase a winery or two?

When you're already a billionaire and own Fiji bottled water, a pistachio and citrus farm and Wonderful POMegranate juice, what's the obvious next step? Purchase a winery, of course, or two!
 


 
In 2010, Stephen Resnick purchased Justin Winery in Paso Robles, California, a 160-acre vineyard which has a restaurant and hotel on the property.  In 2011, the same billionaire purchased Landmark vineyards in Sonoma County, California. Resnick was impressed with the wineries' "very good winemaker" and the fact that they fit the profile that Resnick was looking for - "affordable luxury".
 
 
Well, lucky for us, we were able to try nine of these Justin and Landmark wines because of a special event at my happy place this month!
 
 

Oh what better way to start it off than with Chef Mike's and potstickers!! YUM!
 
 
 
Justin Vineyards was created in 1981 by Justin Baldwin, who had a dream to create iconic Bordeaux-style wines in Central California. This vineyard in Paso Robles is high in the mountains near the Pacific Ocean with limestone soils which brings minerality to the wines. This area also has a microclimate offering the widest day/night temperature swings of any grape growing region in California. The hot days allow intense flavors and the cool nights create great structure and balance.
 
 
 
2013 Justin
Sauvignon Blanc
Central Coast
 
 
 
#1 white grape in Bordeaux
 
 
Due to the Paso Robles microclimate, this Sav Blanc is not your usual Sav Blanc. It wasn't nearly as grapefruit flavored as I am used to but it was still way too tart for my liking.
 
2013 Justin
Chardonnay
Central Coast

 
I had just tried the 2012 Justin Chardonnay for the first time last month while in the OBX and was not a fan. It was mesmerizing to me how much difference a year makes when I tried the 2013. It was not buttery at all like the 2012 and it all had to do with changes in the weather from both years - something that you just can't predict, obviously! 2012 was very warm with little rain. This 2013 was full of apples and pears with a slight tartness on the end but it quickly dissipated. Much better than the 2012 but still not my kind of Chardonnay. It was with this wine, though that we were told that Justin has a philosophy of making wines to pair with food. Should I have had cheese or seafood at this point in the tasting, I could have decided if they are successful.
 
 
Landmark Vineyards is the second winery that Billionaire Resnick purchased. The history of Landmark goes back to 1974 and was started by a group including Damaris Deere Ford, who is the great great granddaughter of John Deere. Yep, THAT John Deere.
In 1991, Damaris turned her attention to exclusively producing Chardonnay and created the first vintage of their flagship wine.
 
Landmark Vineyards
Overlook Chardonnay
2012
Sonoma, Monterey, Santa Barbara, CA

 
This wine was named for the Overlook family estate in Illinois and is a very elegant Chardonnay. It smells absolutely incredible with a hint of butter but not too much.  It's a very "happy" smell!
 My immediate thought was, "I want to turn it into a cookie. It's that good."
 
 
The wine rep explained that this wine is very labor intensive and time consuming.
She also said that Chardonnay is a very shy and delicate grape.
No wonder I like it so much; it's just like me.
Shy and delicate.
(Stop laughing.)


2010 Landmark
Damaris Reserve
Chardonnay
Sonoma

 
Named after Damaris, the founder of Landmark Vineyards, this is their most special Chardonnay. Each year the winemaker takes the best grapes of the two best vineyards - Lorenzo and Rogers Creek in the Petaluma Gap, to make this reserve.
 
It was by far the best of the Chardonnays of the night for me. I didn't want to stop smelling it because it was an overwhelmingly delicious smell of sautéed scallops!! I have never smelled a white wine that I didn't want to drink because I didn't want the smell to stop. (Plenty of reds have had this affect on me but never a white.)  Ironically, enough it didn't taste like scallops but had baking spices on the end. At $46, I thought for a split second and then got up and grabbed a bottle. This, indeed, is a very special Chardonnay and will be cellared for a special occasion.


 
2012 Landmark
Overlook Pinot Noir
San Luis Obispo/Sonoma/Monterey, CA


 
Landmark only makes Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. After trying both, I think they should stick to Chardonnay. I never waste wine and I try to enjoy every one of the special ones we have at events like this one, but I just could not drink any more of this one and gave it to the Evil Red Genius.
It had a nice smell with a hint of tobacco and smoke but its flavor was very tangy with a spicy cherry kick to it. I was not a fan. To show you how everyone's palette is different, however, our friend Susan who was with us said the smell was so nice she'd like to wear it as a perfume.
 
 
 


2012 Justin
Cabernet Sauvignon
Paso Robles, CA

 
While the photo of this bottle is upsetting to me, the wine itself did not disappoint whatsoever!
100% Cabernet with a smoky smell and flavor of rotten dark cherries. YUM!
Justin's flagship wine was only $26.99 and at that price, it definitely was coming home with me. 
 
 
At this point in the night is usually when the creative juices start flowing and I am anxiously awaiting the night-worthy quotes to come out. Sure enough and ironically, I don't remember the context but the Evil Red Genius mentioned that this wine "smelled like a smurf factory."
(You know you want to come with us next time now, don't ya? It's entertaining if nothing else!)
 
2011 Justin
Obtuse
Central Coast CA

 
The Obtuse is a dessert wine of which I was not fond.... Supposed to be a port style but it sure didn't taste that way to me.  More like Chloroseptic cough syrup with some sugar added.
 
Now comes the best of the night....
 
Not only did we get to try the 2011 Justin Isosceles from Paso which was incredible in its own right, but Arthur gave us an even better treat! He took the following bottle out of his personal cellar for each of us to try!
 
2008 Justin
Isosceles Reserve
Paso Robles

 
At $184 a bottle, I wanted to hug Arthur! In fact, after tasting it, I just looked at him and said, "Oh wow, I love you! I mean I loved you before but I love you even more now!" This was truly amazing that he decided to share this with those in attendance that evening. It was "jammy with an edge". 
 
I was in love with the smell and wanted to take my time even beginning to sip it.  This is a wine that I definitely wanted to savor and enjoy.
I actually recall saying I wanted to take it home and snuggle with it.
Yeah, I said that and I'd say it again.










"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance."
-Benjamin Franklin

 
 
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment