Sunday, October 26, 2014

A California twist on an Oregon Pinot



It is no surprise to anyone who knows me that I love Oregon Pinot Noirs. In fact, aside from a New Zealand Pinot that I came upon recently, I don't care for Pinot Noirs that aren't from Oregon, Snob, you say? Call it what you will. I'll take it. I like what I like and have no shame.

Based on past experience, regardless of how appealing the description may sound, I won't even purchase a Pinot unless it's from Oregon. But then I saw this one.....

I have had the California Sean Minor Pinot Noir before and while it was extremely light, it was tolerable. Sean has two different collections and the Four Bears is decent; the Carneros not so much.

It was quite intriguing when I saw this OREGON Pinot made by Sean Minor on a shelf at my happy place. At first I thought it was a misprint or someone playing a cruel joke on me. So I grabbed a bottle and had to ask Arthur if my eyes were deceiving me.

Come to find out, Sean Minor has a great fondness for Oregon's growing region and the 2012 Point North is his first release from his new venture in OREGON!!
He carefully selects his Pinot Noir grapes from select Oregon vineyards in the Willamette Valley and Umpqua.

I was forewarned that this was Sean Minor's "twist" on an Oregon Pinot so it probably wouldn't be EXACTLY like the Oregon Pinots that I adored, but it was worth trying and I was definitely intrigued.....




This beautifully-colored Pinot has aromas of cinnamon and a hint of dark cherry; a fruity-spice smell if you will. It has a very balanced nose with no overpowering typical California style Pinot Noir syrupy or medicinally cherry smell.  Earthy, dark cherry flavors with a smack of spice at the end made this a very elegant and smooth Pinot. 





It is also Dad and Evil Red Genius-approved.




Not only was this strikingly different Pinot delicious on its own it was also quite stunning with Chef Mike's yummy dishes!


Meatloaf


Chicken parmesan




Little Italy Pizza


 Not only did I enjoy this California twist on an Oregon Pinot, but I bought a second bottle to bring home and save!!  Check you out Sean Minor! Way to shock and awe, buddy!
Well done!


"And saith unto him, every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk then that which is worse; but thou has kept the good wine until now."



No comments:

Post a Comment