Monday, January 13, 2014

White or Red? White AND Red!

Decisions, decisions.
Should I have white wine or red wine with dinner?
That was the important question this past Saturday with my dad when I was at my parents' house for dinner. We were going to clean out the fridge and have a smorgasbord of sorts for food.  '
Why choose between white OR red?
Let's have white AND red!
 
First, was Avery Lane Cellars 2011 Chardonnay from Columbia Valley, Washington. On the nose, this wine was very clean, crisp and had an aroma of ripe pears.  The taste was of butterscotch with a hint of vanilla; perhaps a tiny smidge of apple or apricot even. There was no acid or lingering aftertaste.  It also paired well with the garlic and olive oil sauteed shrimp I prepared!




Our red wine for the evening was Old House Vineyard's (http://www.oldhousevineyards.com/index.html)
2012 Chambourcin from Virginia.  My dad is a Chambourcin fan and last year when a friend took me there on lovely afternoon, I tasted this and knew I had to purchase it for my dad. It is called "Wicked Bottom" which was even more appealing to me!
 

It has an aroma of dark fruit such as raspberry or dark cherry with a taste of grape jelly, currant or plum with a hint of cinnamon.  While it went well with lasagna and moussaka, it became quite smooth with a slice of rich chocolate cake with chocolate icing. 
Chocolate easily increased the drinkability.
 
 
So if you can't decide between white or red wine - why decide?
Drink both and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment