Sunday, January 26, 2014

Nothin' finer than an Oregon Pinot Noir

This past Fall, I went to the Outer Banks and stopped by "Trio" http://obxtrio.com/ for the first time. What a fabulous little wine bar and they held some of my favorite Orin Swift wines for me that I couldn't get in Virginia and at almost half the price!  Not only was this place a gem to stumble upon, but it had a great deal on the price of a case of wine so Dad and I obliged. It didn't help that customer service was provided by a very handsome fellow :)

We had all of our case filled up with the exception of one more needed and I asked "Mr. Handsome" to find me a fabulous Oregon Pinot Noir. To my delight, Mr. Handsome was a fan of Pinot Noirs, but only the Willamette Valley ones. My kind of wine guy!

He promised me that I would like this 2001 Rex Hill, and since I had never tried it before, and it was from the Oregon WV and under $30, I had no problem having it find a home as the last spot in my case o' wine!


Last night, I decided to pop open Mr. Rex Hill and what a find! The beautiful deep magenta color led to me stating out loud "love at first smell!" It also goes great with the Solid Gold Oldies channel that was playing in the background. Yes, wine is not only paired well with food, but can be paired well with music! (check out an interesting spin on a Virginia winery http://www.notavivavineyards.com/




Rex has an aroma of dark cherry with notes of wood and forest. Dark cherry was also the dominant taste with hints of wet stones and cinnamon. A really nice, smooth Pinot that is earthy - just the way I like it. Oregon, of course!



Thought this pic would be good when I had the idea in my head but then after seeing it, it made me giggle.
Then again, what man isn't happy in blue jeans?
Why should Rex Hill be any different?

Cheers, yet again, to the wonderful state who "flies with her own wings!"




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful pinot! Being a pinot fan, I shall have to put this on my wine wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't distribute to VA. :( I will get more when I go to OBX this summer.

    ReplyDelete