Monday, January 20, 2014

Reminds me of "home"

When I was a kid, I remember my mom always making "Chicken Noodle Casserole" and I loved it. It's very simple and my mom was never (and still isn't) adventurous when it came to food, but sometimes simple is perfect!

A year ago, I was hospitalized with a horrendous glandular virus and as a result, I lost my taste for a lot of things (thankfully, it eventually all came back). Two things that were tolerable, to the pain and my taste buds, were things I grew up with as a kid - my mom's banana pudding with 'nilla wafers and my mom's chicken noodle casserole.

Now I make both for myself when I feel like I need comforting and something simple but delicious.

I take a little different spin on Mom's recipe and I think it makes it a little more creamy and luscious.

Here's the recipe:

1/2 pkg of egg noodles
1 can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 can of heavy cream (literally fill the empty soup can to the half mark) Mom uses milk. I think heavy cream makes it better.
rotisserie chicken (Mom used canned chicken)
black pepper
minced onion
parmesan cheese (Mom uses the sprinkle kind. I use the shaved kind)



Boil water for noodles and once roaring, put the noodles in and cook for seven minutes.
Meanwhile mix the soup and half a can of heavy cream together in a mixing bowl until smooth.
Add the black pepper (to your liking)
Cut up as much of the chicken as you like and add it in to the mixture.

Put cooking spray on a 9x13 (or smaller if you choose) glass dish.
Put the cooked noodles into the dish.
Then combine the mixture into the dish.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top
Put in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
Check and if it's not bubbling or crunchy on top, let it go for 5 more minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle more cheese on top.
Let sit for 10 minutes.

Even though my mom only lives 10 minutes away, every time I make this it makes me feel like "home."

No comments:

Post a Comment