Friday, January 31, 2014

"Denny and the Winos" - a Premium Portfolio Tasting

It isn't often that I get to participate in the special events of my "happy place" because they are unfortunately scheduled on nights that I have to work late (booooo!). However, because of last week's snow storm, the Premium Portfolio Tasting event - featuring the wines of Pierre Seillan - was rescheduled for last night!! So, off to the happy place "Denny and the Winos" went for some Thursday evening fun!


Events like these are fun to me because they are not only delicious but educational!  We spent $25 and had yummy appetizers and an hour of learning and tasting six wines that we normally would never have come into contact. This collection, the Spire Collection, is made up of  high-end wines of Mr. Seillan ranging from $60 to $110.

Educational part - I learned a lot - but this is what I retained:

1. Pierre Seillan, a French winemaker, believes in "playing" with three grapes - Merlot, Cab Franc and Cab Sav. The cool thing is he then takes those three grapes and plants them all over but puts a French twist on them. Tonight we tasted his French, Italian and Sonoma, CA masterpieces.

2. Where does wine get its flavor from? I knew one answer. The skins of the grapes. Where else? Water.

3.  Find a wine you like, don't follow the vintage - follow the producer. Makes sense to me. I love Orin Swift wines - therefore even if I have never tasted it before, I will always purchase an Orin Swift produced wine.

4.  Clay retains moisture.

5. Interesting that my favorite wine of the night was the 2004 Chateau Lassegue St. Emilion Grand Cru - 60% Merlot, 35% Cab Franc, 5% Cab Sav - from 40-50 year old vines grown predominantly in clay and limestone soils.  It also had the best label in my opinion - looks pretty modern when in fact the story behind it is the absolute opposite. It is from the 1300s - the sundial on the label mirrors what is on the estate and exemplifies the perfect sun exposure for the vines. The label was just happened upon one day in the basement of the estate!

Some may think - wow - you're drinking a 2004 in 2014? The interesting fact is that he will not put out a wine for sale until it is READY to drink. Ready to open up and drink now - no need to lay it down and wait for years trying to patient. Made a lot of sense to us "instant gratification" girls. :)

It smelled of dirt, farm and earth and was just extremely delightful on the palette. A "big" red which made me very happy! When I was asking Dad what he smelled he said "dirt" and I was completely in agreement. Then I said it smelled like "farm" to me. He said "dirt/farm - same thing." I said "Nope, I'm thinking manure farm not dirt farm."  Only two wines down and I say " This shit is good - literally!" I crack myself up.

Tasting part - what most would say is the FUN part:
 
2006 Chateau Vignot - St. Emilion Grand Cru - 75% Merlot, 20% Cab Franc, 5% Cab Sav - from 25-40 year old vines grown in sandy gravel.  This wine is known as the "elegant sister" to the 2004 Chateau Lassenge and "light on its feet".  I completely understood that terminology once I tasted it. The aroma was of oak trees (aged 10 months in French oak) and it definitely smelled "bigger" than it tasted. I was stunned by how light it tasted and it reminded me of a fruity California Pinot (which I'm not too fond of) with an aftertaste reminiscent of a Petit Verdot.

2004 Chateau Lassengue - I already spoke to that above. By far, my favorite of the night.

2008 Valadorna - Tuscany - 85% Merlot, 15% Cab Franc - this wine definitely smelled better than it tasted which was a let down for me. It has a strong smell of spices - definitely clove with undertones of grape jelly on the palate.  It finished with a gritty aftertaste. Not really a fan - but I'm also not typically a fan of Italian wines in general.

2007 and 2008 Arcanum - Tuscany  - We tried both vintages of the Arcanum. Everyone seemed to enjoy the 2007 Arcanum hands down, except for me. I absolutely despised it and in fact, gave the rest of my tasting to Maurine without hesitation (We have a "no waste" rule). The 2007 Arcanum had a nasty smell and it was extremely bitter to the taste. I was the odd man out on this one but hey - you like what you like, yes? (I can't help but think of my Halloween costume when I see Arcanum though. I was Harley Quinn from ARKHAM Asylum - similar but not quite. I wanted to like this wine for that reason alone.)

2009 Cenyth Sonoma Red -Sourced from top Sonoma Vineyards within the Alexander Valley and Chalk Hill. I was happy the moment I read that information!   This is the debut vintage between the winemaker and his daughter which pulled at my heartstrings. It was a beautiful dark, deep color - by far the prettiest of the evening's wines and smelled like "dirt after a rain storm."

2004 Anakota - Knights Valley, CA - 100% Cab Sav. On the nose, was sand and wet rocks but the taste was a bit too fruity for me. Odd for me to think of a Cab from Cali being fruity, though. Interesting, yet not a fan.  We were told this wine would get "elegant and supple" with age. My response was, "What doesn't get more elegant and supple with age?" Maurine thought we said "subtle". ha!

Postlude:

 
Anyone who knows my dad knows that once the "event" is over he's always up for sharing a bottle of wine. It was only a little after 8pm so the night was young, even for a weeknight. What is the next direction I receive? "Hey Val, pick out a bottle of wine for us to share!" PRESSURE!! Fortunately, this crew trusts me (which concerns me at times and flatters me at others). 

After much careful thought, I decided to go with my old friend, the 2010 Matanzas Creek Merlot from Sonoma.  I could not for the life of me remember what this wine tasted like because I first had it almost three years ago when a friend of mine needed an escape after his mother had just passed away. I told him to meet me at my happy place (after not seeing each other for almost 20 years) and we'd forget about the world for a while. I had no idea that three bottles of Matanzas Creek later, I'd be driving him home and watching him vomit in the kitchen sink of the childhood home where he grew up. Oh, good times. But I digress....

The Merlot was a big hit and I know Chrissy (my friend's mom) had something to do with it.  She loved wine, and although I never got to take her to my happy place, I know she was happy and content that I was taking care of her son after she had left this earth that evening.
In honor of her, we raised our glasses and toasted - to good friends, good wine and to Chrissy!



We also decided to play my typical game of "What do you smell?" Dad knows this game now and plays along. My ladies are still new at this and weren't as excited but soon got the hang of it. Now, I'm the one who says there are no right or wrong answers - you smell/taste whatever you smell/taste - just tell me what it is.

Dad says "bananas". Bananas, Dad? BANANAS? It's a Merlot and you smell bananas? Ok, I'm not judging. I'm perplexed, but I'm not judging. I say, "I smell plum" trying to get it rolling in the right direction. Then someone, I forget who, says it smells "nutty". I'll even take nutty. Ok. That's cool.  Then, what happens, Cindy says "Nutty Buddy! It smells like a nutty buddy". For whatever reason this was the most hilarious thing all night. Dad decides to add on to that comment with
".. which has melted in the sun." Wow - ok - hey! It is what it is - I'm just glad they enjoyed it.

I, then, decided to provide everyone with a little treat and bought the last two sea salt caramel chocolates that were in the case to share.  What a genius idea! Chocolate makes everyone happy - especially winos.

 
 
What a fantastic night! These nights are what makes life good. Good wine, good food, good company! The best part is I left with a huge smile on my face AND in my heart.
Once again, I am the luckiest girl in the world!




No comments:

Post a Comment