Thursday, January 9, 2014

Simple salad and bread makes me happy - yay Firebirds!

 About five years ago, I found a restaurant in Fredericksburg, Virginia, named "Firebirds" with which I fell in love. It was about 40 minutes south of my home and was a treat my then boyfriend and I would give ourselves.  It was different than the typical chain restaurants that we tend to have where I live.  The atmosphere was nice, the food was delicious, the wine was good and it was a treat.  We loved sitting at the bar with its beautiful, colorful bottled wall and welcoming fire on a cold blustery day.

 
About two years ago, I was thrilled to hear that my county was getting a Firebirds and it would be less than 10 minutes away!  I very much enjoy the restaurant whether it be on half price bottle of wine Mondays, a family dinner with my parents, sitting at the bar watching a football or hockey game or, as I did today, for a working lunch with my boss.
 
One of the best parts of Firebirds is the bread that you get with each meal, which we refer to as "butt bread".  See for yourself. Some days have more "back" than others. 
 

 
When I first dined at Firebirds, I had the grilled tenderloin salad which comes with bleu cheese crumbles and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. That was my "go to" order. Funny, that since it is now right around the corner, today was the first time in over a year that I ordered that salad. It was just as delicious as I remembered.
Every. Single. Bite.


 
 
In September 2013,  I decided to try the French dip sandwich with cider slaw and tater tots! A restaurant that offers tater tots as a side has totally won my heart! Not only did I absolutely love and devour the meal, but I have since turned two others on to the heavenly sandwich. The last time I sat at the bar I  met a stranger who had ordered the same thing - dumb luck? I think not!
Excellent taste, sir!


 
  Along with the French dip sandwich, I decided to try the Port City Brewery Optimal Wit Belgian White Ale that was on tap and I liked it. Mind you, I HATE beer. I think all beer is disgusting to put it nicely and tastes like urine. Yep, but for once I liked his beer. I came back in December and tried it again, thinking it was a fluke, and still liked it!!

 
Prior to the French dip infatuation, I used to get the beef tenderloin kabob with garlic mashed potatoes or au gratin potatoes.  Still a delectable choice.
 

I don't have a photo, but I was also introduced to Franciscan Cabernet Sauvignon at Firebirds - a wonderful, big, bold Napa Cab. It's quite pricey so make sure to get it on 1/2 price Mondays or go to your local Wegmans or Safeway and get it for $22 any day. It's totally worth it and it goes perfectly with a big, juicy steak. Firebirds also has LaCrema Chardonnay from Sonoma which is nice if you are in the mood for a white wine.

Bottom line is Firebirds never fails to please my heart, soul and appetite!

1 comment:

  1. We were at Firebirds on New Years Day and I could not help but think of you and Chutney!

    ReplyDelete