Thursday, May 1, 2014

One word......Palermo

Dave Phinney is a wine-making genius. (You may not think so, but that's too bad. This is my blog, so there! If you don't agree, then you are just wrong. Period.) In 1998, he founded Orin Swift Cellars in Napa. While I know that Dave is the winemaker and Orin Swift is NOT a real person, I like to think that he IS in my mind. Orin is actually Dave's father’s middle name and Swift is his mother’s maiden name.

Abstract was the first Orin Swift wine that I tried, years ago, and from that first sip, I was hooked. In my opinion, you will never find a more magical and complex delicious wine than an Orin Swift wine. Few of these wines are made and all are sought after! I have been known to purchase an Orin Swift wine that I have never tried just because I know there is no doubt I will fall in love with it.



Last fall, a friend who lives in California went to Orin's new tasting room in St. Helena and bought and shipped two bottles of the 2012 Palermo to me.  I hugged them, kissed them, took pictures with them and then placed them in my wine cellar (ok, not a cellar but it sounds good and stores 38 bottles at the proper temperature).  Yes, I've had these wines (which I have never tried) for seven months. Blew that theory of me not being patient, eh?

Last Friday, I went to my happy place and my dear friend decided to surprise me by having a red wine decanted and waiting upon my arrival. He is not a red wine fan although the red wines he does enjoy are phenomenal. I took one taste and sighed deeply. THIS was incredible. I felt as if I had tried it before but couldn't place it. When he showed me the bottle I almost screamed..... not because it is a creepy label, but with pure delight!! I was finally going to try Palermo!




2012 Palermo

"A voluminous complexion of deep garnet and cardinal can be seen in the glass profile. Profoundly aromatic, the nose is treated to a decadent perfume of currant, roasted espresso, spring flowers, and toasty oak. Supple and rich in the mouth, intense flavors of wild berry fruit, plum, roasted fig, and cacao are in perfect alignment. The length is fleshy and bright with a polished tannin sequence that will last for years."

Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc

Aged for 10 months in French Oak





Not only do I love Orin wines, but I love his creepy labels. Every label is unique and typically creepy or just plain wierd. I have no idea where the idea for this label came from, nor do I know what it means.  To balance the bizarre label, is the simplistic back label which adds to my satisifaction. I often read labels on wines I've never tried to give me an idea of what it may taste like. However, with Orin, I don't need a description. I just need to enjoy, which is another reason why you won't get descriptors for me on this wine. What is listed above was taken word for word from his website.

Where did the name Palermo come from? Good question. I know Palermo is Sicily's cultural and economic capital, rich in history, culture, art, music and food. However, for some reason, I don't think that is this wine's namesake...


While sitting at my wine bar on a bustling Friday evening, one would think there was a plethora of people and antics in which to partake. However, I couldn't tell you what was going on around me because all I was focused on was Palermo. In fact, I even caught myself staring at the bottle and at one point I started to caress it. Yes, I love Palermo that much. Best news? I have two more bottles waiting for me at home!!!



I recall saying to Arthur that evening, "What did I do to deserve this? Palermo, lamb youvetsi on the menu and my sea salt caramel chocolates are back?  Can it get any better?"
Oh wait... Adam Levine didn't walk in and join me... ok, it can get better but only in my dreams.


Sometimes there are no words to explain.
Sometimes you just have to become one with the wine and the experience.
Every time, Orin.
You never cease to amaze me.
Every. Single. Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment