Thursday, May 22, 2014

An oaked Chardonnay that even unoaked fans will enjoy

Wandering around Harris Teeter to pick up a few things on my lunch break yesterday, I was happily greeted with three shopping carts of discounted wine! The prices ranged from $7.99 to $12.99.
The shocking part is that I only bought one bottle because only one began to remotely appeal to me.  To my delight, I was very pleased with my bargain find!
 
2012 Discoveries Vineyard Chardonnay
West Cape, South Africa
 
 
 
 
 With aromas of light toasted oak, honeysuckle and creme brulee, I was already satisfied with the "bargain wine".  The taste was more of the same and very pleasant; not overly oaky or full of citrus. 
 
 I have found there are two kinds of Chardonnay lovers - the ones who love the oak Chards and the ones who love the "mineraly" Chards. I believe I have found that this wine would appeal to both. It is a very pleasant and easy to drink light Chardonnay.
 
 As I had hoped, this South African Chardonnay went fantastically well with shrimp tacos!
How do you make quick shrimp tacos, you ask? All of the ingredients I used are pictured and listed below.

 
Saute shrimp in olive oil, black pepper and little bit of minced garlic
I like to use the fajita style whole wheat tortillas; not as big as a burrito but bigger than a soft taco shell.
Your choice of salsa. I try a different kind almost everytime I buy salsa. This one is Newman's Own medium and chunky which was delicious.
A couple of sprigs of fresh cilantro (Yes, I think cilantro makes EVERYTHING better)
half of an avocado (that was enough for 2 tacos for me)
Definitely cheese - this time I used Mexican shredded cheese
 
It really is all about what you like and how much of it you like.
I just threw it all together - no real recipe. I must say that it was quick and delicious!
The Chardonnay just made it even better!
 

 
As I finished my second glass of this Chardonnay, I wanted something to cleanse my palette.
A square of Ghiradelli white chocolate was absolutely magical!
 
 
When I try a new wine, or one that I'm not familiar with, I always like to research it a bit. I enjoy finding out what the winemaker thinks it smells and tastes like, why he's chosen certain names for the wines and the vineyard, the history of the vineyard, etc.
 
In researching this vineyard, I found the following:
 
The Road Less Traveled
It’s not always the journey that changes our lives.
It’s often the Discoveries we make along the way.
It might be a humble-looking restaurant that serves the world’s best crab cakes, or maybe a gentle bike trail that ends with breathtaking views of the coastal mountains, or perhaps that perfect wave waiting to be ridden off the coast of Ventura.
Great discoveries may be hard to find but we guarantee they are well worth the journey.
 
 
 
Thank you, Harris Teeter, for putting this lovely wine in the discount cart yesterday.
It really isn't about the journey, is it?
It truly is all about the simple discoveries that we find along our journey which change our lives and make each moment worthwhile!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment