Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Immunity Soup

I started blogging about this recipe about a month ago but never posted it. Reading it today, I realized that this is a vegan soup and I didn't even realize it. So how appropriate now!


************************



I found this recipe a few years ago and completely fell in love with it! Considering it's still winter and until it gets above 70 and stays there, I won't be happy, I thought I'd share! I am an one who does not like to take medicine and will do everything naturally possible as far as healing and preventing goes. This soup is called Immunity Soup for a reason!


It is full of immunity-boosting food: Vitamins D and C, zinc,  and antioxidants in the kale mushrooms, chickpeas and garlic.  The hot, steamy broth and crushed pepper will help with flushing out sinuses and potentially warding off infection! Besides all that goodness, it's just daggone delicious too!


I like to make a huge stock pot of it and enjoy it for a few days. It usually is enough to put some in a Tupperware and freeze as well. The longer it sets, the more flavorful it becomes so I recommend waiting a day before eating it. That is if you can wait that long!


When I try a new recipe, I always go by the directions the first time. These are how I have tweaked it. Of course, after you make it you may decide to make changes as well. Just remember to keep the ingredients the same because otherwise it won't be Immunity Soup!







Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
  • 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced (I use a potato peeler b/c it makes ribbon-like stringy slices.)
  • 2 large carrots, thinly sliced (Again, I use the potato peeler)
  • 1 pound presliced vitamin D-enhanced mushrooms (such as Monterey Mushrooms)
  • 10 garlic cloves, minced or 2 tablespoons of minced garlic out of a jar
  • 8 cups unsalted organic vegetable stock
  • 4 fresh thyme sprigs
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted organic chickpeas, drained
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (if you insist. I never cook with salt.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I tend to use more because it has such great properties and Hubs and I like it hot!)
  • 12 ounces curly kale, stems removed, leaves torn
If you want to add rotisserie chicken, it's delicious as well. However, it's quite tasty without the meat and definitely better for you!





Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium. Add onion, celery, and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring often, 3 minutes. Stir in stock, thyme, bay leaves, chickpeas, salt and red pepper. Bring to a simmer for 20 minutes. Add kale into soup; cover and simmer until kale is just tender, about 5 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves.









No comments:

Post a Comment