Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Christmas present to myself

I have been contemplating buying a Coravin system for a while but wanted to see it for myself first. It's quite expensive and I wanted to make sure I could operate it and also that it would function the way it says it does. About a month ago, I was able to see it in action and after having all of my "fears" resolved I decided to bite the bullet.
 
When I upgraded my wine membership, I began acquiring more expensive and higher quality wines. I receive them quarterly but then I also am being introduced to more in general.  That doesn't mean I don't still drink inexpensive, good quality every day wines but I am creating quite an eclectic collection.
 
I also am not one to drink an entire bottle of wine by myself at home on any given evening.
 I often would like to enjoy a glass or two with dinner every so often at home but have the problem of it only "lasting" another day, maybe two, before it loses its original flavor. I have a preserver but have found that it only works but so well and I'm not completely satisfied with it.
As a result, I end up acquiring wine but not enjoying the wine. Something had to change!
 
Hello, Mr. Coravin!
 
 
The Coravin system basically allows me to have a glass of wine without removing the cork. Removing the cork is what allows oxygen to get into the bottle of wine and hence allows it to "go bad," for lack of a better term, quicker than you want - meaning a day or two. I can usually get another day out of a bottle of white and close to two days from a red. However, contrary to popular belief, I don't always want to drink wine every night.
 
The Coravin is genius.
 I can have a glass of wine and then put it back on the shelf and nothing changes!! Argon gas, which doesn't affect the flavor of the wine, pressurizes the bottle and then a small needle pierces the cork to allow the wine to flow through. The needle is then removed from the cork, the cork reseals and then the wine is protected from oxidation!
 
Is it right for every individual? Of course not. Is it right for me? I sure do think so!
Once I realized that it not only allows me to enjoy a glass of wine at home without wasting the rest of the wine in the bottle but also that it is an investment, I was convinced.
 
I say that the Coravin is an investment because it is not inexpensive. However, I played my cards right and found it with free shipping, four additional argon capsules (along with the two that already came with the system) and a $50 gift card from Wine Enthusiast. Knowing that at the least I spend $250 a quarter on high-end wines, and I'm not going to pop open a $100 bottle of wine and chug it while watching "The Big Bang Theory," the pros outweighed the cons.
 
Every year I purchase a Christmas gift for myself and this year it's the Coravin. I received it in the mail last week and tried it for the first time on a wine that I purchased in 2012 during my birthday Chef's Table wine and food pairing at my happy place. 
 
I had been saving this wine for a special occasion but what that special occasion was, I don't know.
So what better wine and what better time to have a glass!
 
2010
Negre
Scala Dei Winery
Priorat, Spain
 

 
Scala Dei is Latin for "Ladder of God".
This wine is 100% Garnacha and produced in one of Spain's smallest and most recognized regions. The terroir surrounding the winery is extremely steep and covered in black slate. Very low yields, sometimes only two pounds of fruit per wine, produce highly concentrated grapes.
As a result, Priorat wines are often ones of superb quality and rather costly. 

 
Using the Coravin was so easy which further confirmed that purchasing it was the right decision.  After drinking a glass, I remembered that this wine was full of ripe, red fruit and rather "big".
I know now that I will open the bottle when I'm ready to make a big beef stew with red peppers and spices! Perhaps I'll even share that meal with someone who enjoys food as much I enjoy food!

 
Merry Christmas to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment