Friday, December 12, 2014

Leaving them behind......


I've never been much of a New Year's Resolutions girl, but I am a reflections girl. I reflect upon my life and experiences all year, but at the end of each year I become quite introspective. I realistically set goals for myself throughout the year and don't feel it is justifiably necessary to do so at the end of each calendar year just because society dictates it be done.
What I started to do about four years ago, and have continued to do, has done wonders for my mental health and heart. At the end of each year, I decide to "leave" people in that year and not bring them with me to the next year and subsequent future years of my life.
What is she talking about, you ask?
Well, there have been toxic people in my life and in order to rid myself of that toxin, I do not bring them with me into the next phase/year of my life. Most of these individuals have already been kicked out of my life prior to the end of the year, but at the end of the year I ceremoniously and permanently leave them in the current year when the clock strikes midnight. They are out of my life, out of my heart, out of my mind and never to be given a second thought.
Does this really work, you ask?
Well, it has for the last four years so I can't imagine it would stop working now.  These individuals are not worthy of my time, my energy or my feelings. They have hurt me deeply beyond repair or they simply add unnecessary burdens and negativity to my life.  They most likely have been given chance after chance all year long and while I may forgive them (for they know not what they do - oh, but some of them definitely do), I simply do not have the desire to reward them by wasting time in my world.  Some years there is only one person left in the current year. Some years there are numerous individuals. There are no requirements on numbers.  In order to continue to keep myself healthy (physically, mentally and spiritually), this is something that I absolutely must do.
Ironically enough, as soon as that clock strikes 12, I don't even give these people (or their past actions) a second thought. It's quite rewarding and I feel such a relief being lifted off of me.
With only 19 days left in 2014, thoughts and meditations on those who will not be coming with me in 2015 are definitely on the horizon. It isn't something I am bitter or angry about. In fact, it's just the opposite. It's rather cleansing and rejuvenating.
 
 
“Not everything is supposed to become something beautiful and long-lasting. Sometimes people come into your life to show you what is right and what is wrong, to show you who you can be, to teach you to love yourself, to make you feel better for a little while, or to just be someone to walk with at night and spill your life to. Not everyone is going to stay forever, and we still have to keep on going and thank them for what they’ve given us.”
— Emery Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment