Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A simple Cab comparison

When it comes to wine, I am typically a California girl.
When in doubt, I can't go wrong with a California wine, specifically a Napa Chardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon. 
 I have my other preferences of course, Oregon Pinots and Washington Merlots but other than those, I usually am pretty darn satisfied with California.

Lately, I have been trying to "branch out" and learn more about French and Italian wines.
I have found quite a few that I enjoy and quite a few that I do not, but it's all a learning process.

While participating in a "me" day one Friday, I decided to take a huge chance and try a Cab that was not from California.

GASP!!

Some would think I had lost my mind or even hit my head on something forcing me to make this decision.
It is so unlike me to stray from California for a Cab.
Why did I do this, you ask? 
For a few reasons.

1.  I was feeling adventurous.
2.  I have never had a French Cab - how bad could it be?
3.  I was at Maggiano's in the middle of a work day - it warranted something exciting!
4. The wine list is not extensive and rather pricey. The French Cab was one of four wines at $38 a bottle; the cheapest price on the wine list.
5. I cheated a little and researched the $38 bottles before going to the restaurant.
6. This French Cab seemed interesting based on its description.

2012
Cadet d'Oc
Cabernet Sauvignon


First of all, it was so nice for Maggiano's to bring me a monogrammed glass to drink my wine.
How thoughtful!

This French Cab was deep in color and smelled of a jammy, spiced vanilla with a hint of pepper on the end. So far so good! In fact, I was pretty darn happy!

The taste instantly confused my tastebuds because they were, naturally, expecting a big hearty California Cab and instead this was much lighter. However it was quite delicious!



I would definitely refer to this wine as a "food wine".
It is lovely without food but it shines with food.
It was a nice compliment to the bruschetta appetizer of baked garlic toast topped with fresh tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar and roasted garlic. It was even better with the baked ziti entrée with Italian sausage, pomodoro sauce and Italian cheeses. I hadn't been to Maggiano's in many years and what a delight to enjoy their food once again!



Normally, I wouldn't get dessert but it was included in the lunch special so how could I hurt its feelings and turn it away?


Introducing.........


 Chocolate Zuccotto cake layered with Sambuca mousse!!

The cake was so incredibly rich but the mousse was heavenly. The cake made the French cab taste similar to a port and was an absolute melt-in-your-mouth explosion of happiness.


Pretty proud of myself, with a full belly and happy taste buds, I left Maggianos with leftovers (food; not wine that is) and a skip in my step!

 Later that same afternoon, I stopped at my happy place for the weekly tasting which happened to be J. Lohr wines (which I tend to really enjoy!) from California, of course!

Deciding upon a Cab to share at my happy place, I was presented with three options depending on my tastes that afternoon.

Since I started off with a French Cab, why not stay the adventurous course, and go with another
 non-California Cab!


2010
Penley Estate
Tolmer
Cabernet Sauvignon
Coonawarra, Australia





Evidently, Coonawarra is the area of Australia that is known for their Cabs so I suppose I chose the correct one for comparison purposes.

This Aussie Cab smells dirty but fruity with a hint of pepper.
On second whiff, it reminded me of a blackberry rolled in dirt.
Its taste was flowery and tangy but had very soft tannins, hence no lingering aftertaste.
Quite enjoyable.


California Cab
vs
French Cab
vs
Australian Cab

First of all, I must say, there really is no reason to compete.
Each of these areas can obviously produce lovely cabs.
It's really personal preference as far as who "wins" this comparison.

While I enjoyed the French Cab over the Australian Cab, both were delightful.
However, again, wine is different when paired with food and that does truly make a difference.

Bottom line is, while I enjoyed the wines and also am proud of myself for taking a chance on two out-of-my-comfort-zone wines on the same day, I still would take a big, heavy, tannic, California Cab any day of the week!



There are days when solitude is a heady wine that intoxicates you with freedom, others when it is a bitter tonic, and still others when it is a poison that makes you beat your head against the wall.”
― Colette, Oeuvres complètes en seize volumes

No comments:

Post a Comment