Friday, December 4, 2015

Dogs and wine


Any dog lovers who visit wineries in the Northern Virginia and surrounding areas are most likely familiar with a winery in Fauquier County named BOW - Barrel Oak Winery. I have been to BOW many times over the years with and without my german shepherd, Prowler.  The winery's appeal is that it's dog friendly - REALLY dog friendly.  Its owners are phenomenal people and its resident dogs are super sweet and fun. BOW wines are decent but I think the focus should be on on quality over quantity. BOW has always been on the large side venue wise and it is recently expanding even more. One thing that I tend to not like about this Delaplane winery is that it's also very child friendly. I have nothing against kids but what do I not enjoy are parents who bring their young children to a winery, ignore them, and then wonder why my dog and I are perturbed. As a result, I haven't been to BOW in quite a while, at least not with Prowler by my side.



Luckily for all of us, there are so many wineries in this area, there's bound to be something for everyone's liking - venue wise and wine wise. Last month, while in Loudoun County, my favorite guy and I made a spur of the moment decision to stop at a winery in Waterford. We had both been there before but not together and quite a few years had passed for both of us since our list visit. It was close and we both remembered we liked it so we thought we'd stop in at 8 Chains North while we were in the area. While 8 Chains North is also dog and child friendly, it is a completely different world from Barrel Oak.  8 Chains North has expanded since I last visited to include a banquet room, an additional tasting bar, newly-planted vineyards and best of all, an outdoor fenced-in dog park!! I met these three-year old sweet Aussie Shepherds who were enjoying the dog park while their owners enjoyed a glass of wine! 
This small, family-owned winery also focuses on quality over quantity when it comes to its wines and it shows! With six wines to taste (compared to the close to 20 at BOW), we also chose the chocolate pairing to accompany them. I mean, who are we to ever turn down chocolate!
Three things I took away from this tasting:

1. The Furnace Mountain Red Reserve, a blend of Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot and Cab Sav, aged in 10 months individually and 12 additional months in American and French oak barrels, was broad, big and supple. A lovely, unfiltered Bordeaux-inspired blend.
2. Sauvignon Blanc, made from grapes grown in Loudoun County, Virginia, does NOT taste like grapefruit!! I hate Sauvignon Blanc simply because it smells and tastes like grapefruit and I despise grapefruit. To see a Sav Blanc on a tasting menu in Virginia was odd on its own but then to taste it and it not taste like a typical Sav Blanc was a huge shock! It is crisp, savory and  beautifully acidic with hints of lemongrass and citrus!  I am still in shock at this beautiful Sauvignon Blanc - who knew all I had to do was go to Waterford to finally find one I could not only fathom, but enjoy.
3. There were three wines in the tasting menu made from grapes that were not grown in Loudoun but from Washington State. Normally, I stick my nose up at that because I want Virginia wine to be made from Virginia-grown grapes. However, I had to make an exception after hearing the reason and realizing the grapes came from Crawford Vineyard in the Yakima Valley. You can't go wrong with the name Crawford!

A few words of advice to wine lovers who take their dogs with them on wine adventures:


Be respectful at all times.


Most wineries will provide water bowls/water for you pupper but I always bring my own just in case.
It's not a right to bring your dog with you. It's truly a privilege.


Keep your dog on a short leash and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Not everyone loves your dog as much as you do (even though it doesn't make sense to me either) so be aware of those humans around you.


Be aware of other dogs present as well.
Just because your dog may be friendly doesn't mean others are.


Exercise your dog before you head out on your adventure to (hopefully) ensure a calmer dog during your adventure.


Tasting rooms may or may not allow your dogs inside. Do your research first so you're aware of what is allowed before you get there.


Bring poop bags with you!


Know your dog's limits and triggers.
Prowler is very anxious and protective of me. He doesn't care for children and as result I need to always be on guard at places where there may be children.


Put your dog first - not the wine tasting. Know YOUR limits; not just your dog's.


What is the definition of a good wine? It should start and end with a smile.

-William Sokolin

No comments:

Post a Comment