Thursday, December 10, 2015

Preach the Word of Pinot


Just this past weekend, Terrance Newman, a 37 year old cornerback for the Minnesota Vikings, was asked by a reporter what his secret was in being able to play football for so long (drafted in 2003).
His response was one that I don't think anyone expected but all of us wine and football lovers appreciated.
His answer was
 "Pinot Noir"


Pinot Noir is a very delicate grape and one that I have always admired. Well, I admire it as long as it's from Oregon.
The Pinot Noir grape is very thin-skinned, likes cool air and needs a lot of TLC but if the stars align properly it's absolutely beautiful.

I was fortunate enough to participate in a Pinot Noir Exploration with the West Burgundy Wine Group at my happy place recently and it was quite enjoyable. However, while it was interesting, I still have to say my mind has not changed about Pinot Noir. California just doesn't do it for me. New Zealand and France are better but Oregon is by far, the best Pinot in all the land!


2013 Moillard-Grivot
Bourgogne
Burgundy, France


This 12.5% alcohol content Pinot is very food-friendly, light and easy to drink. There is a quick hint of barnyard funk on the nose accompanied by light fruit with a kick of BBQ sauce and a finish of peppermint.


2012 Siduri Santa Lucia
Pinot Noir
Santa Lucia Highlands, CA



If blindfolded, I would never have guessed this was a Pinot. It smells of flowers, green peppers and a has a hint of petroleum with a bite at the end.
Yeah.. next please...


2013 Siduri Russian River Valley
Pinot Noir
Sonoma County, CA



This Pinot didn't have much of an aroma which was a shame because I was at least enjoying that aspect. Cinnamon and spice box is what I tasted on this one.
 Another California Pinot.....Come on. What did I do to deserve this punishment? Can't you throw in a New Zealand one?

2013 Carneros Hills Winery Estate
Pinot Noir
Carneros, CA



It was with this wine that the tide started to turn. Or maybe the wines prior were just so disappointing that in comparison this one was tolerable. At first whiff, I immediately thought of fishing on the Potomac River with a hint of fruit thrown in for measure.  The limestone in the soil where these grapes were grown was evident! This wine had a little bite at the end but was pretty good.
 I was told Pinot definitely needs a maritime influence. I can get behind that. It's a good influence to have.

2012 Wild Ridge Vineyards
Pinot Noir
Sonoma Coast, CA



Well, thank you, Wild Ridge Vineyards!! You had me at forest floor!
This was by far the best aroma to this point in the night. I smelled this 14.5% alcohol content wine for what seemed like a beautiful eternity before ever taking a sip. That's how I know it's a fantastic wine - when I'm not in a rush to taste it. The aroma is that beautiful that I just don't want to stop enjoying it. 


2012 Champ de Reves
Pinot Noir
Anderson Valley, CA



Baking spices. That's all I got out of this one, which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all. However, this wine didn't stand a chance because I knew what was coming next and had been anticipating it all evening.  If I gave this wine a chance on any other night or even in a different order on this same night, I probably would give it a favorable review. Honestly, I don't remember much about it at all. I was just trying to move along at this point.


2013 Gran Moraine
Yamhill-Carlton
Pinot Noir
Yamhill Carlton AVA, Oregon



Well, hello, gorgeous!
The aroma of fallen Autumn leaves, pipe tobacco, lavender, rosemary....
The flavor of roasted coffee, black truffle and a hint of light, red fruit....
The earth, the light smoke, the fruit....

Oregon, of course.
A class of its own.

Fruity, yet earthy.
Powerful, yet elegant

I knew from the start that this would be a special wine and that the best was saved for last. 
Why?
Well aside from the obvious (it's from Oregon), it's from the Yamhill-Carlton AVA.

Carlton
My grandfather's name.
He never let me down and won't start now.


The Gran Moraine Pinot solidified my thoughts that nothing can beat an Oregon Pinot Noir. I appreciate the other wines for showing up and trying to compete with Oregon. Nice try, kids. But stop wasting your time and my precious taste buds.

While I have compared libations to men before, this classic expression of an Oregon Pinot Noir reminds me of only one person and it's not a man.
It instantly reminded me of my female role model. A woman I hold with high esteem.
A classic, elegant, unassuming, natural beauty - Audrey Hepburn.


I think people who believe in pinot understand. I'm just trying to spread the word.
~ Kevin Furtado











No comments:

Post a Comment