Friday, October 30, 2015

A taste of Italy in Centreville

When it comes to visiting other countries, Italy is definitely a must on my bucket list.
I mean, come on!
 As the tinywinegirl and a self-proclaimed foodie, it's a no brainer!
 
In the meantime, though, I found a taste of Italy in one of the most unexpected places.....
 a strip mall in Centreville, VA!
 
 
Ciao Wood Fired Pizza and Osteria opened in the Summer 2014 and is an authentic southern Italian eatery where you are treated like family from the moment you walk through the door. From the red and white checkered cloths covering the tables to the exposed brick walls, this quaint restaurant instantly gave me a comfortable sense of belonging.
 
Sal Speizale, the owner, is from Sicily and is a retired Air Force fighter pilot.  He built Ciao with the idea of feeling as if you're at his mom's house in Sicily. Momma Giovanna, at the age of 87, has visited the restaurant and gave her stamp of approval on the sauce! She also shared her own personal recipe for cannoli which is made fresh at Ciao!
 
Ciao is definitely a rare find in Northern Virginia. Its roots are deep in Italian soil and the recipes have been in the Speizale family for generations. Fresh mozzarella is made daily! Meatballs are hand rolled just like Sal's great grandfather did and pizza dough is made fresh and cooked directly in the wood-fired oven.
 
Now comes the sauce. I need to take a breath here for a minute.
I have never tasted such a rich and balanced tomato sauce! When the sauce is made, the flour has to be mixed with San Benedcito water. It is the only flour that must be mixed with imported water. Perhaps that is part of the allure of this sauce - along with the sweetness of the San Marzano tomatoes, of course.
 
Bruschetta is one of my favorite appetizers, especially in the summer when tomatoes are at their best. I have ordered bruschetta at various establishments and while it's often good, no bruschetta has ever come close to that at Ciao.
 
 
Three generous pieces of toasted bread that are just the right balance of soft and crusty with juicy chunks of tomato, fresh basil, garlic, buffalo mozzarella, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil served on a light bed of mesculin greens atop a chic cutting board-esque platform.
At Ciao, you not only are "wow'd" by the presence of the food but equally "wow'd" by the taste!
That combination doesn't happen often!
 
When I visit an Italian restaurant for the first time, I always want to try what I consider a staple of Italian food which is either lasagna or pizza. If you can't do one of those right, I won't return. If you can successfully create a delicious one of either, then I'll give you a second chance. Very seldom am I blown away by one, much less both. At Ciao, I couldn't decide which to purchase so my friend and I decided to get both and share!
 
Eccellente!
 
 
 
The Lasagna Di Carne is an enormous portion enough for two people (and I mean people like me who like to eat) and was presented in a thick crock-type bowl which allowed it to consistently retain the heat. 
 
This is the first lasagna that I've had where the balance was superb. The homemade San Marzano tomato sauce with meat, the creamy ricotta and the fresh mozzarella blended together with all parts of each noodle perfectly cooked. No chewy or crunchy pieces! The crock also serves those of us well who like to sop up the leftover sauce with the homemade bread.
 
Yes, homemade bread.
While I devoured the bread before I could take a picture of it, I don't regret it. At Ciao, you receive a basket of freshly baked bread made from the same dough as the pizza crust. It's perfect for cleaning up the bowl when you've finished the lasagna.
 
Ciao offers 18 different pizzas in three different categeories - bianche (white pizza), rossa (red sauce) and Neapolitan.
 
Neapolitan pizza originated in Naples, Italy and is made from simple and fresh ingredients: dough, raw tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and olive oil with no fancy toppings. It is defined by having more sauce than cheese which leaves the middle wet or soggy and not able to be served by the slice. As a result, these pizzas are similar to the size of a personal pizza.  They are cooked at
800-900 degrees for no more than 90 seconds! Because of the extremely high temps, you may see black spots the size of a dime on the crust. They are known as "leopard spots" and are a distinct characteristic of a true Neapolitan pizza!
 

VPN is the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana and was founded in 1984 in Naples to certify pizzerias that only use the proper ancient artisan traditions of authentic Neapolitan pizza. The Association has several stringent requirements that must be met in order to gain certification; of which ALL must be met. Ciao has applied for VPN certification and is anxiously awaiting acceptance.

While I can't wait to go back to Ciao and try a Neapolitan pizza, this trip, I tried one of the Rossa pizzas and instantly fell in love. Bellisimo!
 
 
The Salamino consists of tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, imported pepperoni, basil and parmesan reggiano cheese. It was the perfect combination of sweet and savory. The crust is thin but not paper thin and it's the first time in a long time I ate every bit of the crust. I usually leave the end behind because its boring and a waste of calories. Sometimes pepperoni is very strong and charcoal-like to me but not this time. While I am a huge cheese fan, I could have just eaten the sauce and been perfectly satisfied. It was THAT delicious.


What could have made this meal better aside from a bottle of wine?  (It was lunch and I was with my boss. Come on, I had to go back to work!)
The owner being present and welcoming me to his "home" for the first time. When I told Sal it was my first time at his restaurant, he asked what took me so long! It may have been my first visit but it definitely won't be my last. I cannot wait to go back and eat there again!

By the way, an osteria is an Italian restaurant, typically a simple or inexpensive one.

Need I say more?

A simple Italian restaurant with excellently-balanced and delicious food to match the exquisite family feel accompanied by the presence of the owner, himself!

Thanks for welcoming this simple pleasures girl to the family!

 

"Where we come from, food is a big deal. For us, meals are celebration of family, good food and culture.  We cook with love and take our time to craft distinctive dishes that aren’t just filling, but deeply satisfying. It’s just what we do for family." 



 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment