Thursday, December 31, 2015

Simple pleasures of 2015


As I ponder my life and all that has happened on this last day of 2015, I find myself smiling more than crying. I consider that a success in itself! I am quite a lucky girl in so many aspects. I attribute that to my faith and perseverance in this crazy world.

I would be remiss if I didn't end this year's blogging with a summary of my simple pleasures of 2015. They all surround the simplest pleasures of all to me - family, food/libations, music, football and love!

In January 2015, I signed up to race on Father's Day with ZERO- The End of Prostate Cancer. The whirlwind quickly took over and I ended up creating the Denny's Shotgun Riders team, holding a successful fundraiser at my happy place, becoming the top fundraiser by raising over $12,000 to end prostate cancer, being asked to speak at the race and being interviewed on tv with the Marketing Director of ZERO. Before summer, my family and I were embraced by the ZERO family and it is a true blessing!



In February 2015, I lost two very special people in my life.  My heart has been stamped with their presence and I will always have them with me. I am a better person having known them.


 My Ohio State Buckeyes won the first ever college National football Championship this year AND I got to go to my first game at "the Shoe" in Ohio at the end of the year with my favorite guy (not to mention see where he grew up and meet his momma!)




I can't believe I haven't gained at least 50 pounds after all the amazing food, beer, bourbon and wine we enjoyed this year! I'd take any chance I could to jump on the Harley for a jaunt out to breweries, wineries, distilleries, festivals and food establishments!


Music is food for my soul! I was so blessed to have enjoyed a ton of concerts and tailgates this year! Luke Bryan, Eric Church, Tim McGraw, Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran, Train, Matt Nathanson, Vince Gill, Thomas Rhett.....




Being in the pit at Nats Park for my Avett Brothers and the Zac Brown Band was a night I'll never forget!!






On Memorial Day, I was honored to ride on the back of my man's Harley as a part of Rolling Thunder. It was one of the most humbling and rewarding experiences I have ever been part of and seeing my parents on the overpass as we went by was the icing on the cake!

I attended every Redskins home game but two this season in my dad's absence and hailed my boys the best way I knew how! I'd like to say they won every game that I attended.... they are also NFC East Champs!


In November, I was ecstatic and thankful to meet Coach Joe Gibbs for the first time at the groundbreaking of a new girls' home on the Youth for Tomorrow campus! What an inspirational man! If only there were more people like him!


Thanks to my medium, Barb Mallon, and her expertise, I took a class a Pet Communication class in April and have been thrilled to learn to communicate with my sweet Prowler and two slippers, Alvin and Callie. I have also been blessed with the ability to communicate with other animals as well and look forward to continue to hone my skills.

To my surprise, I was reunited (but not in person yet) with my first childhood best friend, Brian, and his brother, Sean, after being out of touch for over 30 years.  My heart overfloweth!


My dad started chemo in February and while it is wreaking havoc on his body it is also killing the cancer! Thank God for my parents, my best friends, my world.

The moments I have spent this year with my parents, my favorite guy, and my many friends of which I consider family have been priceless. Making memories at Colonial Beach and the Outer Banks along with my wine bar have all culminated into my top three happy places. Material things aren't what matter to me - moments with my people are what matter to me and I am rich in those 2015 moments!

 I have always had a strong faith and I have always believed that everything happens for a reason. Every September for the past five years I have treated myself for my birthday to a session with a spirit medium. I have found it to be very personal, emotional, rewarding and rejuvenating for my heart and soul. This year was no different but resonated with me in a special way. It wasn't the first time my grandmother came through but this time she expressed things to me that I needed to hear and didn't even realize. One thing that she told me was, "There are no coincidences" and that she had a hand in important things that had occurred in my life this past year. In October, as a permanent reminder, I designed this tattoo to represent her words and our faith.



As you're thinking about what's happened in 2015 and what your possible resolutions and goals are for 2016, take a moment and consider what your blessings are. I bet you don't even realize how fortunate you really are in this life. If you need some reassurance or a reality check, hit me up. I'll be happy to enlighten you.



Be safe tonight if you're out and about. Most of all be thankful. Take it from my parents and me, your life can change in an instant and not always for the better. Find happiness in the simple pleasures of life. They will reward you ten times over.


May God bless you all with a loving, happy and healthy 2016.  I wish you enough!


"I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright. I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more. I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive. I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger. I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting. I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess. I wish enough "Hellos" to get you through the final "Goodbye."
- Bob Perks

No comments:

Post a Comment