Thursday, August 28, 2014

Who knew? Right down the road all these years!

Ingleside Plantation Winery in Oak Grove is one Virginia's oldest and largest wineries. I have always heard of it but had never been. My mom's best friend, my "second mom", used to go there quite often and spoke very highly of it. However, she passed long before I ever even could fathom wine.  (Yes, there was a time when I did not like wine at all)  Well, a few weeks ago, Mom, Dad, the Evil Red Genius and I decided to go check it out! Who knew it was only 12 miles from the beach house!!!
 





 
Not expecting much, I was highly impressed! I had no idea such a beautiful secret had been kept from me! Beautiful European style gardens and courtyard and vines for as far as you could see!


 

entrance to the tasting room

pretty water fountain

 


 
 "Wine is sunlight, held together by water."
-Galileo Galilei





After we picked our chins up off the gravel, we decided to walk to the tasting room and try out the wines! To our surprise it was beautiful and spacious inside as well!




 







Ingleside has a few different tastings you can try.
We, unanimously, opted for the Premium Tasting for $7. No sweet wines for us!!!
 
We tried a: 2012 Albarino which was crisp, dry and lemony
 2012 Chardonnay which was crisp and fruity
2012 Viognier (not as disgusting as most Viogniers to me)
 2013 Cab Sav Rose (yuck - Rose)
2012 Cabernet Sauvignon (now we're getting better but still not "big" enough for us)
2012 Merlot (not too shabby but Dad really appreciates WA state Merlots now)
 
Then, just when I was ready to say this place is nice but the wine is exactly what I expected - nothing to be excited about - we had the last two wines. We all agreed they were, by far, the best two!
 
 
 
2007 Virginia Gold - a blend of Cab, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Cab Franc and Touriga Nacional in French and American oak
 
Fruity aromas with a hint of vanilla and a smooth concentration of fruit flavors on the palette.
Now, we're talking, Ingleside!!
 

 
Saving the best for last, was the 2007 Reserve Merlot.
2007 was evidently an ideal harvest season for Virginia winemakers and the Ingleside
winemaker selected his favorite barrels to produce this Merlot. With exceptional fruit, balanced structure and finesse, it was definitely a crowd pleaser. So much so, that Dad bought a bottle to take home!
 
 
We were offered a free tour of the facility and graciously accepted.
With a glass of 2007 Reserve in hand, we were ready!

here we go!
 

 
 
Where the magic happens.....


Barrels make me smile.

our awesome tour guide


production line starts here!


looks way too scientific for me!
 
 
 




"Wine is the pleasantest subject in the world to discuss.
All its associations are with occasions when people are at their best; with relaxation, contentment, leisurely meals and the free flow of ideas."
-Hugh Johnson




something about this view that calms me
 
 
Heading into the barrel room

 
The barrel room was definitely my favorite room. Too dark to take pictures but very elegant.
Great for private tastings/parties.

 


our new buddy, the tour guide





"The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do. "
~Galileo Galilei


 
Oh, how lovely you are, Merlot grapes!



"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere." ~Vincent Van Gogh
 

 
 





 Ahhh, so nice to meet ya, Ingleside!
I apologize for it taking me so long but rest assured we will return!

No comments:

Post a Comment