Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Take a chance - it just might turn out well

I love cooking. I love pairing wine with meals.
I love when the perfect pairing occurs. It can be truly magical.
 
Sometimes I just take a chance and whip up something easy and inexpensive. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. This time it worked and was super yummy (like those technical terms?)!
 
Cooking should be fun!!
I don't always follow or use recipes (which drives my mom crazy).
Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and do what feels right!
 
The first part of feeling right with this meal was opening up a bottle of wine from the
Livermore Valley-San Francisco Bay area.
 
2012 Wente Vineyards
Morning Fog Chardonnay
 
 
 
In February, I tried the 2009 vintage of this exact Chardonnay during the Super Bowl and was extremely satisfied. I like the 2009 vintage better but the 2012 was delicious in its own right.
 
With aromas of butter, toast and apple, flavors followed suit but with a hint of graham cracker and a slight bit of acidity. The 2009 was easier to drink for me because it had more dominant oak flavors and coconut. This was a tad bit too acidic for me, but don't worry, I'm not complaining by any means!
 

 
I saw these chicken meatballs in the grocery store on sale a few weeks ago and grabbed a package and tossed them in my freezer for future use. One night I figured I'd want to just whip up something quick and those would do!
 
 
 
I love that these meatballs are fully cooked and just need to be heated.
I suppose you could put them in the microwave but I decided to slowly warm them up in a skillet.
 

At the same time, I chopped up two fresh red peppers and about two cups of fresh pineapple and sauteed them in olive oil.
 

 

I prepared a cup of Basmati rice and drizzled just a tad of teriyaki sauce over it so it wasn't dry.
Add the hot meatballs and sauteed peppers and pineapple to the rice and there ya go!
A little tangy, a little spicy and a little saucy!!
 
 
 
 I hadn't felt like cooking or drinking wine in almost a week when I got the urge to take this chance. Pretty easy way to jump start my mojo again! The wine paired quite nicely as well.
 

 
When I feel "off" I don't feel like cooking, I don't feel like drinking wine, and I don't feel like listening to most music. The introvert in me comes out full force and I want the entire world to leave me alone.
 
That was this kind of night.
 
It had been a few weeks since I decided to join the world of dating again.
(Was that a mistake? The jury is still out.)
I'm often my own worst enemy when it comes to dealings of the opposite sex especially when the heartstrings are involved. 
For a single moment (or perhaps 10), I started to feel that downward spiral begin and the feelings of misery abounded.
Remember that old country song that had the lyrics "there's a tear in my beer"? Yeah, well....it was wine instead of beer but you get the idea.
 
After I ate and was solemnly sitting on the deck with Prowler by my side and a second glass of wine, this song by
Taylor Swift (yes, I do like some of her stuff) and Ed Sheeran came on...

'Cause all I know is we said "Hello"
And your eyes look like coming home
All I know is a simple name
Everything has changed
All I know is you held the door
You'll be mine and I'll be yours
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed.
 
 
Then the phone rang......
I almost ignored it but something made me answer it.
It was a sign. Just the slight push I needed.
I'm glad I answered the phone.
My smile came back. The loneliness dissipated.
I took another chance that night..... and it just might turn out well.
 
 
 
 

"I heard what you said. I’m not the silly romantic you think. I don’t want the heavens or the shooting stars. I don’t want gemstones or gold. I have those things already. I want…a steady hand. A kind soul. I want to fall asleep, and wake, knowing my heart is safe. I want to love, and be loved.”
-Shana Abe
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment