Thursday, July 17, 2014

Simple summer pasta salad

During the summer months, I tend to crave fresh vegetables and I visit the local Farmer's Market every Sunday morning excited to see what I can find. Sunday mornings are often spent in my kitchen preparing dishes for the next couple of days.
 
One of my favorite pasta salads to make for the summer is really easy to make and super yummy!
 
 
Boil half a box of orzo - according to package instructions.
 
 
Dice a small onion and saute it in olive oil until it gets soft and begins browning.
 
 
 
Toast a handful of pine nuts in the skillet. Do not let them burn.
They toast quickly so keep a close watch.
 
 
 
Chop up fresh basil. The amount depends on how much you like.



I often use juilenned sundried tomatoes but this time I had a fresh homegrown tomato on hand and decided to use it instead.  Dice the tomato if it's a fresh one. If I use the sundried ones I just cut them in quarters.
 
 
When the orzo is done, put it in a big mixing bowl and lightly coat with olive oil so that the pasta doesn't stick. Mix in the tomatoes, pine nuts and onions with a wooden spoon.
Add the basil and a generous helping of crumbled feta cheese.
 

 
(I didn't do it this time, but I have often sauteed some baby spinach as well to toss in.
Grilled cut-up asapargus is also a nice touch.)
 
Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for a few hours. I like to eat this simple summer pasta salad chilled but it is also quite good warm.
 
It doesn't last long in my house, that's for sure! It's so easy to come home from work at lunchtime, grab a spoon, sit on the deck with Prowler and enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment