Thursday, July 24, 2014

Moonshine + Grenade = Empowered Wine Girl

Empowered
Confident
Determined
Exuberant
Fulfilled
 
 No, I'm not talking about what wine does for me.
Well, ok, maybe wine does that for me too... the right wine.
 
But I'm talking about seeing Bruno Mars in concert a few weeks ago.
 
 
 
From the moment the lights went down and the stars came out, I could feel it in the air.
Something exciting was about to happen and it wasn't just hearing Bruno live for the first time.
It was something internal that was happening.
 
It was definitely a sign when Bruno opened with the song, "Moonshine".
By far one of our favorites off of his cds; one that was not released and is not even recognizable probably unless you are Hooligan.
 
Time stood still during that song. Magic filled the air.
We were in for a night we'd never forget!
Oh how I needed this!
Little did I know.......
 
 
 
 
Treasure, Natalie, Just the Way You Are, It Will Rain, Locked Out of Heaven, 
When I Was Your Man, The First Time, Gorilla, Marry You, Nothin' on You, Runaway....
the hit list goes on and on.



But then THE song came on that resonated with me.
Anyone who has ever heard of Bruno Mars knows this song.
Shoot, if you've watched American Idol or The Voice you know this song.
I actually got tired of it because it was played on the radio so much when it first came on.
Still, it's a great song and I know every word.
However, it wasn't until this moment, hearing him sing it live, that I had that "aha moment"!
 
Grenade
 
"Easy come, easy go/That's just how you live/Take, take, take it all/But you never give"
 
(As I sing every word, it's starting to sink in. Some lyrics are more meaningful than others.)
 
 
"Gave you all I had and you tossed it in the trash/You tossed it in the trash, yes you did/
To give me all your love is all I ever asked...."
 
(I'm starting to get pumped up at this point. Yep, this is it. This is definitely the song I needed.)
 
I'd catch a grenade for ya
Throw my hand on a blade for ya
I'd jump in front of a train for ya
You know I'd do anything for ya

Oh, I would go through all this pain
Take a bullet straight through my brain
Yes, I would die for you, baby....

But you won't do the same.
 
BAM!
 "But you won't do the same."
Closure. Right then and there.
"But you won't do the same."
The lyrics. The power and emotion with which Bruno sang those lyrics. 
 I felt it deep inside of me and for the first time in over two years, the nonsense that I have tolerated and accepted and tried to disregard, hit me right smack in the face and at that instant.....
I was done! 
 
Amazing how a song can be so powerful that it literally empowered me and provided me with a confidence and assurance that I have never felt but definitely needed to finally put this specific relationship behind me and move on. 
 
I knew I'd love Bruno live.
I knew that he would excite me and make me smile and bring out emotions.
I knew that my heart would be racing and I'd be a dancing and singing machine.
 I knew his band would "take me back" to a time when music was "real".
All of that happened ten fold.
What I didn't know is that Bruno would bring me closure to a part of my life that I have needed for way too long.
 

 
Okole maluna, Bruno!

 
 Thanks for empowering this wine girl with your music!
 
All I needed was a little "Moonshine Jungle" from my favorite little kick-ass Hawaiian boy!
 
 
 
 

"And the night shall be filled with music,
And the cares that infest the day
Shall fold their tents like the Arabs
And as silently steal away."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Day Is Done
 
 
 
 












No comments:

Post a Comment