Monday, March 3, 2014

Firebirds and Dave Matthews' Dreaming Tree wines

 
A few Saturdays ago, I met my parents and best friend for lunch at Firebirds.  Typically I have something steak-related or the fabulous French dip sammich (no, it's not a sandwich - it's a yummy sammich) but today, knowing I was having steak for dinner, I decided on something lighter.
 
I chose the Seared Ahi Tuna appetizer. It was quite plentiful as an appetizer with mesculin greens and a spicy mustard sauce.   I had the this appetizer from Firebirds once before, many years ago, but was in the mood for something light and also wanted a white wine.
 
 
Guess what they had on special for a limited time at Firebirds? "Dreaming Tree" wine  - Dave Matthews of the Dave Matthews Band's wine!!  Now Dave has a winery near Charlottesville, VA, which I hear is fantastic, but I have yet to visit.  But "Dreaming Tree" is his partnership with a Sonoma, CA area winemaker. Dave set out to create a few approachable wines - a Chard, a Cab, a Red Blend and a White Blend. I have seen Dreaming Tree at local grocery stores, relatively inexpensive, and yet I hadn't attempted to try it yet. (Please note $30 for a bottle at a restaurant is insane for this wine when you can easily get it for $15 at Safeway or Giant, but when in Rome...)
 
 
 
Our waiter was under 21, knew nothing about wine, but loves Dave Matthews and did a decent job of selling it. However, I already knew I wanted to try it. I asked him if we could have a taste of the white and the red so we could decided what we liked. I had been offered tastes before at Firebirds, so I knew it was possible. Good ole whatshisname came back with half a glass of each and Dad and I were both able to taste both of Dave's featured wines. As a thank you, we not only ordered a glass of each but I gave good ole whatshisname some wine tips to make him look better as a "wine waiter".  I also told him DMB was coming to Nissan Pavilion (I refuse to call it Jiffy Lube Live) which made him a happy waiter. But no, kiddo, I won't go with you. You be "aw-ite".  I've been known to be a cougar but even this cub was too young for Tiny.  Plus I'm on a Man Diet....
 
 
Two "Dreaming Tree" wines are named after DMB songs. I decided to have the "Everyday" white wine. It was fresh and light tasting with hints of honeysuckle. Primarily "Girlsaremeaner" and Riesling grapes, with some Albarino and and "ViognYUCK". Each of these wines on their own, I would not normally enjoy but this stainless steel blend was refreshing.  It was absolutely perfect with the seared ahi tuna, just as I had hoped and suspected! The spicy mustard sauce really brought out the spice in the wine. I'm eager to try it with Indian food at home sometime. It would also be a nice, front porch sipping wine in late Spring/early Summer.
 
Dad was having the Wicked Burger and chose the DMB "Crush" red blend.  Majority of this blend is Merlot, along with Zinfandel, Petit Sirah and Syrah spending16 months in oak.  I love the song "Crush" and had I chosen the french dip that day, I would have had a glass for sure. It was floral on the nose, which I don't usually get from red wine necessarily, and a nice jammy/berry taste.
 
"Let's go drive 'til morning comes
Watch the sunrise and fill our souls up
We'll drink some wine 'til we get drunk, yeah

It's crazy I'm thinking
Just knowing that the world is round
I'm here, I'm dancing on the ground
Never right side up or upside down
And is this real, or am I dreaming?"
 
 
 
 "Dreaming Tree" bottles are also manufactured with clean burning natural gas, the labels are 100% recyclable and so are the corks!
 




"At Dreaming Tree, we think the best vintage is pretty much right now and the best pairing is your favorite people. Hey, there's nothing wrong with collecting wine, but isn't it more fun to drink instead?"  Steve Reeder and Dave Matthews  www.dreamingtreewines.com







I completely agree and that's just what we did the first time Dad and I tried, and enjoyed, "Dreaming Tree" wines! We've had the blends - now to try the other Dreaming Tree wines and make a trip to his winery in Charlottesville!http://blenheimvineyards.com/ Way to go, Dave! My Virginia boy makes good music and good wine!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment