Sunday, March 16, 2014

Focused on Quality or the Luck of the Irish?

 
A few years ago, I went to Chateau O'Brien winery in Markham on a cold, dreary, snowy Sunday in January. Why I haven't returned until now I don't know but at least I returned, right?
 
 

 
There are many compliments to give Chateau O'Brien:
 
1.  Buddy, the dog (who passed a while ago but I was able to meet on my first trip), is the official mascot.
2.  The owner is arrogant and Irish. I don't mind men who are arrogant and can back it up. What I don't like is men who are cocky. There's a difference to me - a big difference.
3.  No limos, buses or anyone under 21 is allowed. FINALLY! People!! Your children do NOT belong at a winery. Get a babysitter or take a bottle of wine home from your local grocery store. I praise Howard for making it very well known that unless you are of age to purchase and consume wine, you are not welcome. Besides, what's the point?
4. "His principles are founded on giving the customer a quality experience from the destination to the wine."
5. They grow all their own grapes, yes even ones that you wouldn't think would work in VA!
6. The beautiful landscaping, even in the winter, when everything is brown and blah





 

Even when the weather is cold, the climb to the winery is rocky and muddy, and the wind is blowing, I still love being in a vineyard. There's something about being out in nature, with rolling hills and blue skies that make my blood pressure decrease and a smile come across my face.
 




Railroad tracks and a run down barn don't hurt either....






What better time to go to Chateau O'Brien than on St. Patrick's Day weekend? An Irish trio was playing, cottage pies were being served, a bagpiper showed up every once in a while to play and the owner greeted us outside in a kilt and graciously agreed to take a picture with me.


 
Chateau O'Brien is classy and laid out beautifully. When you enter through the copper doors you have the choice of going to the right for the classic tasting of white wines or to the left for the cellar collection tasting of red wines. No reason why you can't do both, but they are known for their reds, I didn't want to waste my time on the whites and I was accompanied by the "Evil Red Genius". Maybe one day, in the summer, I'll venture to the white side.  Maybe.

 
Chateau O'Brien focuses on quality and it's even written on their labels. It is obvious to me in tasting their wines. You won't taste 10 to 12 wines here. You'll taste 4 on each side. You will most likely love all 4 that you taste. You won't be rushed. You'll have a new glass for each wine that you taste and you'll feel right at home. I've said for years I'd rather a winemaker focus on 4 to 6 wines and make them fantastic then make 10 to 12 and they are mediocre. It's not about quantity with me; it's about quality.
 
The Cellar Collection Wine Tasting
1. 2009 Malbec - CO'B is the first winery I've been to that offers a Malbec. When I hear Malbec I think Argentina or Chile. I found that there is also a French Malbec and Howard's is made in the French style. It smelled of cocoa and had a very spicy/tangy kick on the end. Very nice. Didn't taste like a typical Malbec to me and that's because it wasn't a typical Malbec!
 
2.  2010 Cabernet Franc - Cab Franc grapes grow well in Virginia. Every VA winery, I believe, has a Cab Franc or at least a red blend with Cab Franc in it. I don't care for them. We bought a bottle of this one to share. Need I say more? Quality over quantity. Howard takes the time to do it right. Ahhh, to have patience. A virtue I do not possess.
The Cab Franc was just released this month.  On the nose, as odd as it sounds, I was reminded of a plump, home grown tomato. Makes no sense, I know, but it is what it is. It had a rusty red color, almost burnt looking, and I didn't get any spicy notes at all. However, it was "supposed to be" spicier than the Malbec. My taste buds disagreed with that information. Tobacco and dirt were also present and no, that's not gross.
 
3.  2010 Petit Verdot - also released this month. Tends to grow well in this area of Virginia as well and while I enjoy blends that have Petit Verdot grapes, I'm usually not a fan of it on its own. However, we both agreed that with a huge piece of chocolate cake or some dark chocolate brownies, we wouldn't have turned a glass of Petit Verdot down.
 
It has a very heavy feel with a sort of thickness on your tongue.  It smelled like fudge to me and was a beautiful deep purple color.  Maurine said it tasted "muddy" and I said I needed something to scrape the roof of my mouth off. 
 
4.  2009 Limited Reserve Tannat -  We have a winner!!! SOLD!
 
Tannat grapes are from the southwest region of France. Tannat is also the national grape of Uruguay.  So it's growing in Virginia? Fauquier County? Really? Yeppers and it is DEE-LISH-US!!!!At least the one made by Chateau O'Brien is delicious. I was told it was unusual to grow Tannat grapes here but it was "worth the risk." Well, yes, I must agree!
 
While the first whiff of the Cab Franc made me think of a big juicy tomato, the first whiff of this Tannat made me think of that same tomato but rotting, fallen off the vine, laying in the dirt of the garden after a rain storm. I could even visualize it the minute I smelled the wine for the first time. Why was I not repulsed by that smell? Who knows but it seems as if the "funkier" a red wine smells to me, the more I like the taste. This was no different.  Such a smooth wine with just enough of a bite at the end to make you want more.
 
Naturally, it's the most expensive one at $79 a bottle but it is worth it - especially for a special occasion. The grapes were from 2009 when my dad turned 60. The year, I purchase a bottle is 2014 and dad will turn 65 in June. Sounds like the perfect special occasion to me!
 

Look at me with my four leaf clover shirt on!! Yes, I am part Irish!
 
We decided to get the $29 bottle of Cab Franc (still can't believe I liked it!!) and take it out on the back deck. We lasted long enough to take this picture and chat with the ladies at the table next to us but then the wind forced us inside.


While inside we shared a meat and cheese plate, cottage pies and chocolates. We had a great view of the mountains as well as the train wreck late 40-somethings acting like they were 20-somethings drinking Rose and wearing unsightly green pants that no one should ever wear on the deck.

 


To our surprise, this wonderful gentleman came through the winery playing the bagpipes. He was phenomenal and was such a nice touch!



 
Don't bother going to Chateau O'Brien if you want cheap wine and your goal is to get drunk. Don't go to Chateau O'Brien unless you want to try good, quality Virginia wine only 45 minutes down 66 West from the DC area.  Don't go to Chateau O'Brien unless you want to find a slice of Ireland in the hills of Fauquier County.

The Irish Trio!

"I'm a rambler. I'm a gambler. I'm a long ways from home. If you don't like me, just leave me alone! I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'til I die! "
 
 

Until next time, Chateau O'Brien..... it was our pleasure!

 

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment