Thursday, November 27, 2014

My bourbon epiphany

In an earlier post, I compared men to wine and while I still stand behind that post, the other night my senses were awakened and I had an epiphany of sorts.

Maybe it's simpler than I thought.
Men ARE like wine.
There are all different kinds of men.
There are all different kinds of wine.

HOWEVER, a "real" man, and perhaps the "right" man, is so much better than wine.
While I enjoy wine, this man should not be compared to wine.
Not a "real" man.

A real man should grab your attention but know how to continue to hold it.
A real man should leave you coming back for more but not leave you with a bitter aftertaste.
A real man should come at you with a punch and a quick burn but leave you with a smooth smile of happiness and gratification.
A real man shouldn't make you feel miserable the next day but you should revel in the afterglow.
A real man shouldn't need anything but himself to bring out his appeal.
It should be organic.
Natural.

No, a real man should not be compared to wine.
He should be compared to...



.....bourbon.

Yep, bourbon.

 Growing up, my grandfather's drink of choice was bourbon and water. I was too young to even understand how alcohol could taste good, much less fathom bourbon. I miss him so very much, more than anyone could ever imagine. There are so many things I should have learned from him and we should have shared together. I do know he's still with me and my love for cooking, appreciation of simple pleasures and my newfound fondness for bourbon/whiskey is all thanks to him.

Point of clarification: All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon.

By definition, whiskey is a spirit distilled from fermented grain mash - including rye which is my favorite - and then aged in wooden barrels. It is made all over the world. The most popular form of American Whiskey is bourbon. Bourbon needs to be produced in America and made from 51% corn; whiskey does not. Bourbon also needs to be stored in new, charred oak barrels where whiskey barrels need to be oak but not new or charred. To be called bourbon, the liquid needs to be distilled to no more than 160 proof and put in the barrel at 125. For other whiskey, the liquid must be distilled to no more than 190 proof.

(Hmmmm.. bourbon epiphany. Bourbon must be produced in America and 51% corn.
Hmmm.. All-American, Midwest farm boy ....I think I can handle that!)

When we sold my grandparents' house a few years ago, I was determined to save my grandfather's bar that had always been in the basement of their home. It is now in my home.


 Along with the bar and the memories, came varied spirits. 

For the first time, last Sunday, I decided to try one of the bourbons for a few reasons.
First and foremost, the Redskins game required something much more potent than wine. Second, the 30th anniversary of my grandfather's death was approaching and I wanted to honor him. Third, I was preparing dinner for an incredible man and knew he was also a bourbon fan and would enjoy the spirit as well as the meaning behind it.

What I didn't know was that the bourbon would also awaken my soul and enlighten me in the way that it did. Wait, it was the bourbon that caused that, right?
Thanks Granddad, I knew you'd approve.....
If he was a drink,
he'd be a single-barrel
Bourbon on ice.
Smooth with a kick,
a chill and a burn
 all at the same time.
  -Brad Paisley


You hit me like fire, shot me like a bullet.
Burned me up and down, no way to cool it.
But every time you kiss me it's like sunshine and whiskey.
 -Frankie Ballard






No comments:

Post a Comment