Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Stag's Leap Wine Cellars - Stop rushing me!

My second official IYI event took place on June 11 and I took the Evil Red Genius as my "plus one".
 
An Evening with Stag's Leap Wine Cellars
 
Stag's Leap Wine Cellars has a long and distinguished wine reputation and is considered a Napa Valley first-growth estate.  Founded in 1970, this winery was thrust into the spotlight when a bottle of the 1973 SLV estate-grown Cabernet Sauvignon won the now famous 1976 Paris Tasting, besting some of the most renowned wines of Bordeaux.  The victory, known as the Judgment of Paris, launched Stag's Leap Wine Cellars into the ranks of the world's most noteworthy Cabernet producers.
 
We tasted six wines this evening and overall I wasn't too impressed. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful because without this avenue I wouldn't ever try wines like these or at these prices, but I can honestly say none knocked my socks off.
 
 
 
Let's run down the wines we tasted:

2010 Sauvignon Blanc
68% Sav Blanc, 28% Sav Musque
 $27/bottle
 
Typical bouquet of grapefruit, canteloupe and melon
It did taste better than most Sav Blancs; not that overwhelming flavor of grapefruit yet still very subtle and fresh

2012 Karia Chardonnay
100% Chardonnay
 $32/bottle
 
I was excited to try this one because I have immensely enjoyed the 2011 Karia Chardonnay (and even posted about it in an earlier blog). However, this vintage was not as smooth as the 2011. It has a lower percentage of malolactic fermentation so it's balanced between oak and the apple and butter minerality. It also had some spice notes to it. This wine disappointed me because I had such high hopes for it based on its previous vintage. After tasting it, I longed for seared scallops so maybe that would help. But then again, why pay $10 more than the previous year's vintage when the previous year's vintage is delicious to me?
 
2011 Artemis Cabernet Sauvignon
86% Cab Sav, 14% Merlot
 $60/bottle
 
Regardless of how lovely the description reads or how fancy the representative spoke of this wine, it was too tart for me. The representative mentioned this wine was "an iron fist in a velvet glove." While I appreciate that description, I don't feel it is indicative of this particular wine.
It had a fragrance of rotten plums that had been laying on the ground for hours on a hot, humid summer day. The Evil Red Genuis stated that "it feels muddy" and we both agreed we needed to scrape our mouth or use a tongue cleanser afterwards. 
 
While disappointed because we both favor Cabs from Napa, I, then, realized why I didn't care for this one.
It's called Artemis.
 
Artemis is the name of a disgustingly-vile character on the FX show
"Always Sunny in Philadelphia". When viewers are first introduced to Artemis this is what occurs: "When the gang assumes Charlie is going to die of cancer, Dee brings Artemis in to audition to be a "Coyote Ugly"-style bartender for Paddy's. Dennis is immediately upset at seeing her appearance and attitude, but she continues to perform her acting routine on top of the bar, ending with licking Dennis' face."
 
Case in point. Artemis - bleh.
 

 
Before I go on with the next three wines, I have to go off on a rant for a moment which will also explain the title of this post.  From the start, this winery representative was making me crazy. Not only did he look like a nerd trying to be cool but before we could even taste the first wine he was already on to explaining the second one. It was not only annoying but confusing because he would be talking about one and you'd be drinking the other. When drinking wine, especially at a tasting like this, one needs to slow down, smell, sip, enjoy and savor.  At one point, I literally looked at the Evil Red Genius and said, "Stop rushing me!!!" I wanted to scream it out loud to him but I refrained. It was difficult to keep my mouth shut, but I did. After the two whites, I literally just sat back and did my own thing. You can see from the photo above, I have a red in one glass, water in one glass and still some white in another..... stop rushing me, dude!!
I'm ok with nerds. I love an intelligent arrogance in a man but not coupled with annoyance and he wasn't even attractive!
 Ya'll know how I hate when people try to rush me or tell me what to do.
 
Ok, back to the wines......
 
 
 
2006 Fay Cabernet Sauvignon
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
$116/bottle
 
The "Fay" vineyard was purchased in 1986. This was the vineyard that originally inspired the winemaker to make wine in this area. It is the oldest Cabernet Sauvignon vineyard in the area and consists of 66 acres of Cabernet Sauvignon and half an acre of Petit Verdot.
 
I was hopeful for this wine because it was one of my two quarterly IYI wines that I get with my membership so I already "own" a bottle of it. With an herb and licorice bouquet and aged in 100% French oak, I was hopeful. The taste was uneventful. It wasn't horrid but it wasn't delicious. The Evil Red Genius mentioned, "it doesn't strike me as your kind of cab" and she was correct. At $116, I wanted euphoria. I have had many cabs that I prefer over this one in this price range and definitely in the lesser price range.  After the event, we decided to try it again (since there are leftovers!) and see if we could make ourselves like it. After all, I do have a bottle at home and we don't waste wine!  I was told that it could most likely improve over the next year or so but not to wait much longer than that since it was an '06.  I figure at this point, I'll use it as an excuse for an amazing meal and when all else fails indulge in chocolate. We'll make it work!
 
2005 SLV Cabernet Sauvignon
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
$150/bottle
 
The "S.L.V" was the initial vineyard owned by the estate. It consists of 35 acres of Cabernet Sauvignon and one acre of Merlot. This vineyard was the source of the grapes that produced the wine that won the 1976 Judgment of Paris.

At this point in the night I was told I was getting "punchy" and perhaps I was...
What did I smell with this wine? My first thought was rotten tomatoes and when I tasted it I immediately thought that I was licking something that had been burned.  My senses are heightened the more I drink, I suppose. It can also be quite entertaining.  This wine definitely had more prominent tannins and was earthy which I liked. Perhaps the smart ass in me answered when this question was posed by the representative, "Notice anything different about this one?" I said under my breath, "the price?" Yep, the Evil Red Genius and I began cackling like young school girls.  I concluded with my last taste that it was reminiscent of being in a zoo. Remember though, I am fond of funky smells when it comes to wine. I don't want to taste the zoo though, just want to smell it.
 
Oh, and I almost forgot the best part...  As soon as I looked at the tasting list and saw SLV, I immediately started singing a song by SWV (Sisters with Voices) from the 1990s.
"I'm so into youuuuuuuuuu. I don't know what I'm gonna do..."
 
Don't ya wanna come drink wine with me now? Super fun, eh?

2005 Cask 23 Cabernet Sauvignon
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
$220/bottle
 
Here comes the heavy hitter.
The flagship red wine.

  It is a blend of Cab Sav from the SLV and Fay vineyards.  The first vintage of this wine was produced in 1974 after the winemaker noticed that a specific cask, numbered 23, stood out from the other casks produced that year. It is not produced every vintage but only in years that are viewed by the winemaking team as producing excellent quality fruit.

The winery's description of this flagship wine reads as follows:
 "A classic example of tremendous power and great finesse. The wine presents a symphony of aromas of sweet black fruit to cigar box, from savory spices of clove, allspice and licorice to dried herbs and flowers, even a touch of minerality.  It's a wine sure to enhance any dining experience."

Sounded good to me.  Made me want a prime rib even.
 
Upon first sniff, the Evil Red Genius hesitantly stated, "It smells good. It doesn't stink."
Hopeful, I took a sniff and said, "It still smells like a zoo... but with roses."

A friend's mom was sitting across the table from me. She is rather distinguished and quiet; has a sophisticated way about her. She doesn't say much but evidently she enjoyed this wine because after one sip her response was an emphatic, "DAMN!" and then a smile.
 
The Evil Red Genius and I take a hesitant taste because we haven't been thrilled with any of the wines as of yet and are hopeful since this is the last, and supposedly best, one.
 
Our summation:
 
"I could get a piece of jewelry for that price!"
 

 
 
While this event could not compare to my first IYI event with RASA vineyards which was phenomenal, it was still fun and enlightening. While I didn't attempt to knock people down to get the last bottle of their flagship wine (as I did with RASA), it pleased me to see how discriminating my palette has become. Who knew when I got married (regretfully so) to someone whose parents were wine snobs (and alcoholics) and I vowed to never drink wine just to spite them and because they "all tasted the same," that over 11 years later I'd be a connoisseur!
 
I enjoy wine but when I say I enjoy wine I enjoy all aspects of it; not just drinking it. I enjoy learning about the winemaker and the vineyard and how the grapes were grown, the science behind how the wine was made. I enjoy trying to decipher what I smell and what I taste. I enjoy pairing food with wine and when that one perfect pairing happens it's pure magic. I love how no two wines are the same. I also love how it's a neverending journey.
There will always be new wines to try and experience!
Bring it on!
 
 
"Either give me more wine or leave me alone.”
Rumi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment