Monday, June 16, 2014

Birthdays are awesome!


I love birthdays.
I love celebrating birthdays of those people I love. 
My birthday is in September and I celebrate the entire month.
It doesn't have to be something spectacular every day but something special and something that I enjoy. 
My mom's birthday is also in September so I have no problem sharing the month with her.


As I get older, I enjoy birthdays even more because I realize what a gift they are to have. I know many people who aren't with us any more who I'd love to be able to celebrate with one more time.
So, instead we will celebrate here while we still can!

Dad's birthday was June 1 and fell on a Sunday.
The day before, Mom and I took Dad out for his Birthday Eve dinner.
He could have gone anywhere he wanted and he chose my happy place.
No, I didn't persuade him. He's got that good of taste on his own.

Dad doesn't like having a big deal made out of his birthday. I informed Arthur of this and I also asked him to help me find a fantastic bottle of wine for us which Dad would otherwise never imagine buying. Arthur put a bottle of Papillon aside for us which I was extremely excited about. Papillon is made by Orin Swift. Need I say more? I hadn't had it in years and Dad had never tried it.  Orin would have to wait for a while though because white wine was going to go with dinner!
 

spicy chicken wings for an appetizer - yum!

Dad's flounder stuffed with crabmeat special - melts in your mouth
 
When Chef Mike was asked if the flounder special was good he said that "anything is good stuffed with crabmeat - fish, chicken, even socks." Aww silly Mikey.......
I have to admit he doe have a valid point though.
 


              Moussaka!! A classic Greek recipe made by layering eggplant with a spiced meat filling and topping it off with a delicious creamy bechamel sauce which is baked to golden perfection.
So delicious!
mmmmmmmmm oooo saw kuh!!


I had my eye on Fog Crest for a while but hadn't tried it. Dad's birthday would be the perfect time to try such a beautiful Chardonnay!
It paired perfectly with the flounder special and wasn't too shabby with my moussaka either!


 
 
2010 Fog Crest Chardonnay
Russian River Valley, California
 
Aromas of peaches, canteloupe and nutmeg combined with buttered toast on the palette
 
 While Napa Chards are my favorite, Sonoma has always been a close second.
This Fog Crest confims that opinion.
 
 
 
Happy Birthday Eve, Dad!!
 
 
 After dinner and after we said goodnight to the Fog Crest,
I asked Arthur to bring out the special bottle.
We wouldn't drink the entire bottle, but we'd have to try it on this special occasion. 
 

 
Sunday was Dad's actual birthday and he requested the celebration continue at his house.
Orin came home with us and we continued to enjoy Papillon.
 
 
2011 Papillon
Orin Swift Cellars
Napa Valley, California





Papillon is a blend of Cab Sav, Merlot, Petit Verdot and Malbec, aged 16 months in French oak.










As described on the Orin Swift website (and I couldn't say it better myself):
 
 "Bright ruby red in complexion, the wine bursts with a lively perfume of crushed boysenberry, spring flowers, creme de cassis, and a hint of toast. Upon entry, lush flavors of blackberry tarts and ripe plum lead to a juicy mid-palate mix of currant, mocha, and dark chocolate.  Already well-integrated, polished tannins are present on the finish which linger effortlessly with just the right amount of power and intensity."

In other words,
it is pure ecstacy in a bottle. 



 
 
 
 



 
"Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.”
 -Ernest Hemingway, "Death in the Afternoon"

 
Happy 65th, Dad! I love you more than you know!
 
 
Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.
- Plautus


 







No comments:

Post a Comment