Monday, December 18, 2017

When a bottle of wine makes you think......


I Iove Chardonnay.
The big oaky kind.
Toasted coconut and vanilla notes; even hazelnut undertones
Not butter though.
I don't need to drink (or eat, for that matter) a stick of butter.

I have also come to appreciate unoaked Chardonnays.
"Silver" by Mer Soleil is one that is reasonably priced that I enjoy.
 When it comes to unoaked ones, I always have to have food though.
Usually seafood. Steamed mussels, to be exact, pair wonderfully with Silver.

After two days of monsoon-like rain and gloomy days,
I was on my way out the door to go shopping, and asked the hubs (also known as my favorite guy) to throw a Chardonnay in the fridge so it would be ready upon my return.

He chose a 2015 A to Z Chardonnay that was easily accessible in our kitchen wine rack.
A to Z is one of my favorite Pinot Noir wineries - located in Oregon, of course.
So, why drink a Chardonnay if it's known for Pinot Noir?
Why even buy it in the first place?
Good question. I wanted to take a chance.
I like to live on the edge.
Brace yourself.

This 2015 vintage is very light, crisp and definitely unoaked. 
It is also very light in color; almost clear.
At first whiff, there is a hint of petroleum
and then melon, honey dew and white flowers take over.
There is a definite floral aroma.

However, there is no way I'd ever think this wine was a Chardonnay.
It is more reminiscent of a Pinot Gris but, of course, that makes sense coming from Oregon.
The Pinot Gris grape definitely finds itself at home growing in Oregon. The climate and geology are similar to the regions of Burgundy and Alsace in France where the grape originated.

With a clean, crisp taste, citrus flavors appear. 
 Lemon perhaps but thankfully, not enough to make you pucker.
The floral aromas tend to appear in the taste as well.... and fruit.... maybe pear or apricot.
Wait, wet stone. That's it.
Wet stone.
Yep, this wine tastes like little white flowers draped over stones at the edge of a river bed.

Even though this wine doesn't taste like a typical unoaked Chardonnay to me, it surely wasn't a waste. I don't know that I'd purchase it again but it definitely was worth trying.
I believe I would have enjoyed it more had I prepared seared scallops, Crab Norfolk or even shrimp scampi. It would work nicely as an ingredient in those dishes, being sipped as I prepared those dishes or as a chaser to each bite of those dishes!

It never hurts to try a different wine.
You like what you like - that's my mantra in wine tasting.
However, there's no reason to get stuck with certain ones.
Branch out, live a little. Try new wines. You just may find something extraordinary.
But if you don't, that's ok too - at least you tried.  
The more you try, the more you'll be able to pinpoint what it is you like (or don't like) about certain wines.

Hmm... wait a minute - that sounds very similar to new relationships.
You're bored, want to try something new.
The "label" is intriguing at first glance so you take it home with you and figure it's worth trying.
After opening the bottle, you realize it's not exactly what you like
but it's better than nothing at this point.
So, you go ahead and pour yourself a glass.
A little tart, not what you're used to, maybe even comes on a little too strong at first.
It doesn't really set well with you but you might as well give it a chance.
It could get better. It could grow on you.
You try to appreciate it for what it is and not what you wish it could be.

Yeah, I remember those days.
They are not necessarily fond memories either.
Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that nonsense any more...
.......in regard to men or wine.



“There are thousands of wines that can take over our minds.
Don't think all ecstasies are the same!”
Jalaluddin Mevlana Rumi




No comments:

Post a Comment