Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Headline: Wine Girl Travels to Lorton Breweries



Fairfax County's largest brewery opened in Lorton in March of 2015. Technically, it is a packaging brewery because at least 75% of its beer is sold off premises. Don't let that fool you though because this is quite a brewery! I was quite impressed with the 12,000 square foot tasting room at Fairwinds complete with snacks, games, tv and a
life-size game of Jenga.






The founder of Fair Winds has a Masters in Marine Biology and served in the Coast Guard, hence the sailor reference in the name of this brewery.
"Wishing you fair winds as you depart on seas"

Fair Winds doesn't believe in one-size-fits-all. Instead, this brewery is about craft beer complimenting the moment and adding to the customer's overall experience.

Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with Fair Winds' libations but then again, I wouldn't call myself a beer connoisseur. There are a few beers that I find enjoyable but I definitely am fond of going to breweries and trying new ones.
You never know what may strike my fancy.
(After all, many years ago, I went to Bells' Brewery in Michigan and hated them all except for Hop Slam - go figure!)
 
 
The Quayside Kolsch is a light-bodied German-style golden ale. If I had to pick one to drink at Fairwinds this would be the one. It is made from pilsner and munich malts and has a subtle biscuit and floral flavor. It really wants to be a pretzel beer but alas, it falls short.
There is only one pretzel beer!

( Make sure to check out my April post about pretzel beer and my favorite local brewery here: http://winefoodie.blogspot.com/2015/04/theres-hope-for-me-yet-beer-post.html)

 I would highly suggest Fair Winds to the typical local Northern Virginia beer drinker.
Because I wasn't excited by most of the beer there, it means that most beer drinkers probably will love it.

About a mile away from Fair Winds, in Newington, is another brewery.
Breweries are like potato chips to me. You can't (eat) visit just one. It's all about comparison!

So, I hopped back on that Harley with my favorite guy and we headed on over to
 
Forge Brew Works

where we found quality beer in small batches.

 


"We use our hands to forge great tasting beer because hard work tastes better."

 
 
 While Fair Winds was decent in atmosphere, Forge was where I felt at home instantly. Fair Winds felt more commercial where Forge was definitely a small warehouse space. Wineries should be picturesque; breweries should be down and dirty. I don't need to be impressed by the atmosphere at a brewery. I want to be impressed by the beer. I'd definitely go back to Forge.
 
 
 
 
Forge's flight of four was much more pleasurable and interesting to me than Fair Winds. While I may not want to drink a pint of each that I taste, I enjoy trying new beer, especially ones that are different.
 
 Belgian Blonde - brewed with Belgian Pilsner and Abbey malts.
Very refreshing and easy to drink.
While I am not fond of blondes, I do tend to like Belgian ones.
Beer, people! I'm talking about beer!
Come on!
 
Saison de Wit - light, crisp and flowery
I could easily drink this one. For some reason, I seem to be fond of the Saisons.

Seward Double IPA  - reminiscent of Pacific Northwest beer, or so the beer drinkers say, this beer is citrusy, spicy and malty.
I don't care much for IPAs because of their lingering bitter aftertaste. However, I find that most beer drinkers love IPAs. I have found a few here or there I could fathom but in general, the hoppier the beer, the more bitter the aftertaste and the more the new beer drinker in me will go running full speed ahead back to the vineyards!
 
Belgian Dark Brown Nitro
Whoa! If you like coffee, you'll like this beer.
I don't like coffee.
 I do like the smell though. I should have stopped there.
It was definitely interesting though and that's part of the fun!

 
 Over the past year, I have found that visiting breweries is quite entertaining.
Of course, I'm the wine girl, but even the wine girl needs to branch out sometimes. 
 
  Wine makes me often feel fancy and passionate and I enjoy it best with an amazing meal (or cheese or chocolate).
Whiskey reaches and warms the depths of my heart and soul.
Beer is fun and light hearted.
Beer allows me to just embrace it without thinking.
 Lately, I've really needed that in my life.
 
Lucky for me, breweries seem to be popping up everywhere lately.
I'm ready, bring 'em on!
 


A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
-Czech Proverb


No comments:

Post a Comment