Thursday, April 23, 2015

There's hope for me yet (a beer post)

When I was about four years old, I remember trying beer for the first time.
Now, before you get all worked up and angry, keep reading......
 
My dad was a PBR fan..... yeah, it was a long time ago.
I remember sitting in his lap and he let me take a tiny sip (probably just a lick) from his can.
That day scarred me for life when it came to beer.
 
I have always said drinking beer is like drinking urine, or at least what I think urine would taste like.
 
 That is until.... a few months ago when everything changed......
 
Who knew a veteran-owned and operated microbrewery in an area full of warehouses in Manassas would change my lifelong opinion of beer?
 
 
Well, that's exactly what happened when I was introduced to Sean and Heritage!
 
 
 
As veterans and patriots, Heritage finds that they owe it to their patrons to only produce the finest beer made with the best ingredients with the same level of attention to detail and passion that they brought to serving our country. They spent hours on end thinking of ways to recycle, reuse and reduce their footprint.  All of the furniture in the brewery is made out of shipping crates and pallets and the taproom is full of repurposed items. 

"Few are willing to stand for what is right and just, no matter the cost.

Few are willing to sacrifice for their beliefs and a sense of honor.

Few are willing to forgo so that others may have.

We, at Heritage, are proud to say that we are those few."

 

Responsibility, ingenuity, quality, efficiency, community cultivation, dedication and American spirit make up the core values and culture of what drives Heritage Brewing Co. It is evident when you are there.

I'm fortunate enough to have been to Heritage three times and to help them celebrate their one-year anniversary!  During the tour, I learned so much about beer and, for a food and beverage junkie like me, it was pretty darn awesome!
 
 
I've been on a lot of wine tours and by no means know all the ins and outs but enough to get by.
It's fascinating to me. So I was very curious to see how beer was made! 


Sean believes 1) consistency is key, 2) in no filtering of beer, 3) being hands-on with the entire production, 4)being creative with new tastes and ideas and most importantly, 5) making beer that is "good for you and approachable". 
 
When Sean said he follows the philosophy of Bells, a light bulb went off in my head!
 Bells Brewery in Kalamazoo, Michigan is the only other brewery I had ever visited. It is also, up until Heritage, the only beer that I truly enjoyed (with the exception of a few pumpkin ales in October which don't really count as true beer). It all made perfect sense why I liked Heritage beer at that point!
 
 
 
Heritage's Flagship beers are each crafted with a specific theme and I have taken Sean's actual words as descriptions for each of these beers.
 
Kings Mountain is named after an overwhelming patriot victory in the Revolutionary war fought between forces of both Scot-Patriots and Scot-loyalists. A fitting name for a beer that holds an overwhelming malt filled flavor. Its robust grain bill of malted barley is at the forefront of its taste. Herbert Hoover once said of Kings Mountain, “This is a place of inspiring memories”.
 
 
It is paid for with the tolls of heroes past and present, it is the backbone that our nation has held to since its inception and it is the air that we breathe and the dreams that we chase. This IPA is our representation of the powerful American hopped pales that we all love and cherish. As we cherish the freedom we hold dear to us, let us rise our pints to those who have paid for it and those who still protect it. God bless the USA.

 
Theodore Roosevelt’s tenacious spirit and bold persona are embodied in this larger than life, hop-rich pale ale. It leads the charge with an over the top carbonated head leaving you with a stache reminiscent of our very 26th President himself. His full-bodied spirit is ever present in the mouth filling, hop bursting stampede of flavor that is the core of this beer. Made from the foundation of our style, the Teddy is one of Heritage’s first founded recipes.

 
From sea to shining sea was once only a dream. This dream became a reality thanks to a band of 33 travelers who braved the western expanse of America. Lead by two of America’s greatest expeditionaries, they traveled over the mountains and valleys, through the plains and across the rivers, building friendships and narrowly escaping death from their enemies. Starvation nearly took them, but the steadfast devotion and help of a native woman brought them to eternal glory. Let us remember the Corps of Discovery with the American Expedition, a light bodied American wheat ale. Bathed in farmers honey and spiced with ginger, it will give any traveler the fortitude and perseverance to carry on. 

 
(I like to refer to American Expedition as pretzel beer. FYI - That's a compliment.)
 

All it takes is a small spark to start a fire. All it took was one idea to start a Revolution. It was the idea of a free democracy that started the Revolution in the British Colonies we now call America. Brewed with the spark of a free nation in mind, Revolution is the beer to make everyone a believer. A malty amber ale brewed with organic oranges, Revolution gives notes of caramel and rye toast with a smooth, lingering finish. An all season favorite, this brew is sure to make you a member of the Revolution.


While I enjoy the taste of the "pretzel beer" and I was not offended by any of the flagship beers, I must say, this Tiny Wine Girl became a true fan of Heritage beer once she tasted this one:

 
OAK-AGED KINGS MOUNTAIN!!
 
This, my friends, is heaven in a bottle!
Beer, aged in whiskey barrels and then put in a wine bottle!
Genius!!
 
Everything I despise about the taste of beer disappears with this one. The whiskey barrel smoothed out the bitter aftertaste of the beer!!
When someone can make beer taste like whiskey and look like wine, I am all over it!
Yes, I even bought a bottle and have been promoting the hell out of this beer ever since!
 
In January, Heritage celebrated its one year anniversary and I was fortunate enough to participate in the celebration.
 
 
My favorite part?
Being in a room with whiskey barrels.....(along with my favorite guy, of course)
 

                      ...and being able to taste from the barrel before the beer is even ready yet!!!

 
It was "brandy-like" and extremely strong. Yum!

 
Sean always has something "up his sleeve"- some amazing concoction that he refers to as an experimental.  On the day of the anniversary, we were fortunate enough to try his latest weekend creation -  American Expedition with coco nims, vanilla and coffee. 
 

Oh Heritage, how I love thee......


One may say, that I have been bitten by the "beer bug" because a month later, I went out to Loudoun County and visited two other breweries! Of course, I stopped at one of my favorite wineries just around the corner first and then ended the jaunt with a visit to my favorite whiskey place. But there was beer in between so that counts, right?


Since 2004, Corcoran had been making wine but in 2011, they decided to branch out into the
hand-crafted beer world.
 


The girl in me loved Corcoran's glasses and the way our tasters were displayed.
  
I loved the name of the beer called, Hops the Bunny, of course, and I think I liked the Corky's Irish Red, but to be honest, I don't remember. I do remember it wasn't anywhere near as delicious as Heritage though. However, Corcoran is creating new beers all the time and each week things change, so I'd go back to keep trying! Practice makes perfect, right?


A little nugget of information I learned when leaving Corcoran - a growler fits nicely and securely in a hunting boot. If you ask me, I think it serves a better purpose as a growler boot than a hunting boot anyway.  (Booooo hunting)


Because it was right around the corner, we also decided to stop at Adroit Theory. I was warned that Adroit had a pretty dark and ominous nature so I wasn't sure what to expect. 


But once I went inside, I loved it!! It is such a unique atmosphere! Piercings and tattoos never bothered me so if you aren't going to this brewery for that reason you are really missing out!


 
Consume Life - Drink Art

Adroit Theory Brewing Company is a nano brewery specializing in esoteric brews with an emphasis on barrel aging.
 
I made an emphatic comment in the beginning of the tasting, "I don't like beer."
 
The response of my Adroit staffer was, "Let the conversion begin!"
 
He was up for the challenge.

 
Then it happened.. I found it.
 
THE beer at Adroit.
 
"She hates beer, but she tried The Devil Made Me and loves it. I win!"
 
My Adroit dude was successful and I was not mad at him.
 
 
"Inspired by the twisted acts of deranged souls, The Devil Made Me explores the themes of evil and judgment. Though the label at first appears simple, close inspection reveals that the entire background and logo are created with the mugshots of serial killers. A black bar across the rows of faces hides the eyes of the killers, and printed backwards on each bar is our slogan: consume life, drink art." 

 The Devil Made Me is a robust Porter with a thick toffee-colored head. It has a rich, roasted aroma with a hint of smoke and its taste is a smooth rush at first followed by a smoky and spice flavor coming from its smoked malt process and Serrano peppers! While there is a smooth but building heat, it definitely leaves you wanting more.

 
I also enjoyed Tenebris which smells of vanilla, citrus and a slight bit of earth along with caramel and toffee although not so much that it overwhelms the palette. The barrel aging of this beer smoothed out the sweetness of the toffee, dark cherry, figs and caramel while the oak and vanilla left a better than usual beer aftertaste which made me long for another sip.

During Medieval times, “The Shadow of the Sun” was how European Alchemists defined the Crow. It was their symbol for the blackness of despair and chaos. We see the Crow as a Life Force so powerful it can actually live off Death itself. After all, it's not Death if you refuse it…



 
While, I still prefer rum, whiskey and wine over beer, I must say my eyes have been opened and my taste buds have been awakened by these three breweries. There are still so many more to visit and experience and rest assured, I will eagerly take on that challenge! 
Beer lovers, there's hope for me yet!


"Beer.. Now there's a temporary solution."
 
-Dan Castellaneta


 

No comments:

Post a Comment