Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Belgian goodness

"We do not intend to be all things to all people.
Some folks will not like what we do but that is ok with us."
 
 
It's definitely ok with me because I think EVERYTHING is done just right here!
 
Where, you ask?
 
One of my favorite local restaurants, of course.
 
 
 Cock and Bowl  -  an authentic European neighborhood bistro serving up scrumptious fare and friendly service in the town of Occoquan, Va.
 
 About a month ago, I was lucky enough to take my favorite guy to this Belgian place of happiness for the first time. 
 
 
Cock and Bowl prides itself on doing one thing and doing it right - being a "beer and mussel joint".  It's not that there aren't other items on the menu but beer and mussels are its focus.
Having over 60 beers available, you'd think that we would have each had at least one but it wasn't appropriate for this day!
What?!
A day not appropriate for beer? Nonsense!
We were being responsible and using our brains (Yes, we do use our brains - pretty cool how that works, eh?) because we would be stopping by our friend's wine shop afterwards and had to pace ourselves since we were on the Harley.
 
Cock and Bowl is quaint and operates out of a three-story, extremely slender townhouse.  On the bistro's busiest of days there are still only two chefs in the kitchen and everything is made to order. So you may have to wait, but it's all part of the experience. If you're in a rush, you probably shouldn't be coming here anyway. The food that is served here begs to be savored!
 
All sauces, spreads and toppings are made in-house. The owners like to serve food that customers
  can pronounce and that comes from a place customers can visit and where they are able to talk to the person who raised it or crafted it.  At Cock and Bowl, you will find mostly fresh and local ingredients because they tend to shop at farmers markets for the best the season has to offer.
 
 
With all that being said, as I sat down at an outside courtyard table across from my gorgeous man, with my tousled Harley-helmet hair, I sighed and attempted to contain my excitement for the food we were about to enjoy!

We take pleasure in sharing food. It works well for both of us.
We get to try various things and experience more of the menu that way.
The dilemma?
How do we choose?
There are so many intriguing items on the menu!
Well that just meant we'd definitely have to return soon to try out some more items!

 
We started with the shrimp coquettes. This crunchy-on-the-outside appetizer was filled with a decadent cream of diced shrimp, cheese and spices on the inside.
Talking about melting in your mouth!
Wow!
 

Next, we tried the pomme frites which are fresh cut and twice fried. These Belgian frites were served with mayonnaise and normally I'd be turned off because I am a tried and true Heinz Ketchup and fries kind of girl.
But when in Rome, I mean Belgium.....
I must say, they were quite tasty.
 
The primary reason that I love Cock and Bowl is for their mussels and this visit validated that feeling. You can chose your Bols Moules (mussel bowl) from eight different varieties.
The Prince Edward Island blue mussels are prepared fresh daily and served in a kettle pot with bread for dipping. Because it was a hot day and we didn't want anything heavy to eat, we chose the Mariniere mussel bowl which was comprised of mussels steamed in white wine, garlic shallots, parsley and butter.
 
I don't know who made it to heaven quicker but after one mussel, I was on Cloud 9.
Absolutely divine!
What did they taste like? They tasted like more, that's what!
Then when the bivalve mollusks are all gone, you must use the bread to soak up the liquid goodness in the bottom of the pot!
 
I already know that on a return visit, I definitely need to try the following mussel bowls:
 
Alpine - creamy blend of white wine, savory spices and Gruyere cheese
We are the Champignons - mushrooms, garlic, brandy, sage and cream
 Moules de Terre - bacon, spinach, onion, tomatoes  - a hearty one


At this point in the meal, I'm in a blissful food fog and then my favorite guy says we have to share a gaufres douces. Ok, maybe he didn't say it like that.
Maybe he said something like "Wanna get a waffle?"
 
I am not much of a breakfast fan and I surely can't ever comprehend why people eat breakfast for dinner but to each his own. Silly girl, these waffles aren't for breakfast! They are sweet waffles. Dessert waffles!
 
I'm not a huge dessert fan either but I know how much he wanted to try a waffle so I took one for the team.
Man, am I glad I did!
 
There are six sweet baked-to-order Belgian waffles to choose from: Belgian chocolate, strawberry, maple, caramel, fresh seasonal fruit and the best of all - the one we tried:

 
Tortue (Turtle) 
 a mix of chocolate and caramel topped with pecan brittle and whipped cream

The waffle was light and fluffy with just the right amount of sweet and crisp. I despise whipped cream but this was no Ready Whip!! The pecan brittle crunch was an absolutely phenomenal touch!
 


If I ever opened my own food establishment I would want it to be similar to Cock and Bowl. It would be a small town bistro where the locals would gather as if it was their home away from home and the visitors would never want to leave. It would have fresh, good-for-you ingredients, made to order food, a plentiful bar.  The food would be scrumptious and addictive and leave you yearning for more. I would also embrace my customers as if they were my friends. Best of all, if you come to my bistro and you don't like it, then that's fine with me because there will be plenty of people who do!


 "Food is symbolic of love when words are inadequate."
 Alan D. Wolfelt

No comments:

Post a Comment