Sunday, May 31, 2015

There's more to Argentina than Malbecs

There's more to Argentina than Malbecs.
 
Truth be known, Argentina has developed an extraordinary wine industry over the last five centuries.  Argentinian wines are unique because Argentina is one of the world's nature reserves. With a territory that is four times larger than France, Argentina boasts a wealth of natural ecosystems that includes vast, highly-productive grape growing regions stretching at the foot of the Andean strip to the west of the country and covers almost 540,000 acres!
Who knew?
 
These people, that's who!
 
 
 
We didn't know it before we took our "trip" to Argentina, but this we sure know it now!
 
 Mendoza is the center of reference for the wine industry in Argentina and South America and we sampled eight wines from this area.  Mendoza was compared to Washington state which made me optimistic b/c I like WA wines. Perhaps, jt shouldn't have been because I got my hopes up.
 
 
2013 Tilia Torrontes
 
 This white wine is very aromatic, crisp and has citrus notes. Its flavor is predominantly of lemongrass. I instantly started to crave a Vietnamese noodle bowl upon first sip.
 
 
2012 Catena Alta "Historic Rows" Chardonnay
 
Ahh.. yes, the aroma of this wine made me very happy - toasted coconut and vanilla.
It tasted like a watered down Napa Chardonnay and I suddenly craved roasted chicken.
 
 
Fun fact:
 The soil where this grape is grown is primarily limestone. There is calcium in limestone. Calcium is good for your bones. Therefore, drink more of this wine because it's good for your bones.
 
 
2011 Catena Zapata "White Stones" Chardonnay
 
In the beginning, this wine smelled like the beach on a breezy day. Lovely, right?
 The taste was a bit crisper than the previous Chardonnay. It was decent but I preferred the first Chardonnay. The more sips I took, the more I didn't like it though. It quickly became tart and tasted like the liquid version of a green apple Jolly Rancher hard candy. 
Not a fan.
 
Val: And...... the smell-a-thon is on!
Brad: I want to break shit now.
You had to be there. Seriously, you should be. It's so much more fun live.

 
2012 Renacer Enamore
 
Referred to as the "kissing wine," I'd have to call it the spitting wine because it made me want to spit; not kiss.  It smelled of licorice melting on the bottom of a shoe on a hot summer day.
It instantly sent a burning sensation to my sinuses. If kisses were like this, I wouldn't enjoy them as much as I do.
 
 
2011 El Enemigo Cabernet Franc
 
And...the game begins!
Finally, a wine that is in it to win it.......the smell-a-thon, that is!
 


 
I quickly coined this Cabernet Franc, the "Christina Aguilera wine" because it is
 
Dirrrrty!
 
It started with hints of dirty diaper and as it opened up more (swirl it, girrrl!) it turned into a scent of a kitty litter box... that four cats frequent.
It did taste better than it smelled though and I typically like stinky reds.
 
 
2011 El Enemigo Bonarda

This red has a funky smell laced with rotten fruit. I commented on how it made me want to spit and Brad delightfully gave me the dump bucket. How gentlemanly. Richie offered me his cupped hands at one tasting. I declined because he was waiting on tables that evening but it was tempting.
 Everyone takes such good care of me at my happy place.
 
2011 Catena Alta Cabernet Sauvignon
and
2010 Catena Zapata Malbec Argentino
 
Ironically enough, these last two wines, priced at $65 and $150, had no distinct smell or flavor and I believe it was because the El Enemigos destroyed my nasal cavity with their kitty litter and rotten smelling fruit aromas.
Such a shame.. Or was it?
I don't think it would have been a good idea for me to have liked these two wines given their prices.
The wine gods were definitely looking out for me while in Argentina.
 
So, this "trip" definitely opened my eyes to there being more than just Malbecs in Argentina. However, I have to admit, based on one trip alone, I'd have to say that I'd be happier if Malbecs were all there was to Argentinian wine.

 I believe in doing something well; not doing a lot of things in mediocrity.
Stick to the Malbec my South American friends.
You do them well!



 

“This is one of the disadvantages of wine, it makes a man mistake words for thoughts.”
Samuel Johnson


No comments:

Post a Comment