Sunday, May 31, 2015

Release the Trocken

One day, three friends went wine tasting in Germany. They were excited and hopeful to find some delicious wines from the regions of Mosel, Rheinhessen and Rheingau. While they enjoyed their adventures, they left in a quandary...
How can Germany be so very beautiful and yet its wine be so mediocre?
 
 

 
We tasted eight wines, of which five were Riesling.
While Germany is known for Riesling, it is also home of the world's third largest producer of Pinot Noir (also known as Spatburgunder) and Pinot Gris (also known as Grauburgunder). Germany is also the world's second largest producer of Pinot Blanc.  It would be an understatement to say that we were disappointed that our visit only included one Pinot Noir and not one Pinot Gris or Pinot Blanc.
 
Still, that didn't stop this trio from making the most of their German wine adventure.
 
Lassen Sie die Weinproben und Kritik beginnen!
(Let the wine tasting and critique begin!)
 
 
2013 Villa Wolf Pinot Noir
From Pfalz, this Pinot Noir was similar to watered-down cough syrup and I found myself wishing there was a spittoon within reach.

 
2012 Loosen Up Dornfelder
I have had a German Dornfelder before and enjoyed it with ease. I have even had a Dornfelder grown in the German style by one of my favorite Virginia wineres, Otium, in Purcellville and found it quite delightful. While the previous Pinot Noir made me want to "hock and spit," this Dornfelder, just made me want to spit.

2014 Villa Wolf Pinot Noir Rose
"If you don't like wine, and you like water, this is the wine for you!"
 
This salmon-colored fish wine looked like red food coloring added to Perrier and its aroma reminded me of walking into a florist.
When asked if we liked this wine, no words were uttered....just the lovely sound of crickets.
(Grillen, to be exact, German crickets, of course.)

 
2013 Maximin Grunnhaus Riesling Trocken
 
I never thought I'd say it, but I welcomed this dry, crisp Riesling with open arms!
The aroma was reminiscent of Thanksgiving dinner and made me smile.
It has one of the best names I've ever seen in a wine and, of course, we were quickly able to give it relevant nicknames.
This Gluteus Maximus Riesling was delicious - ya gotta love a "butt wine".
 
 
 
NV Dr. Loosen Sparkling Riesling
 
Just as I was thinking maybe there was hope after all for this wine adventure, then came the bubbles. We have a rule that we don't waste wine. Even if it's something that one of us may not care for, we give it the other to drink. We don't pour it out.
Well, friends, I hate to say it but, this one got poured out.
 
If only I had a plastic wand in my purse and then I could have dunked it in my glass and blew bubbles with this wine like I was five years old again.
 
 
 
2011 Robert Weil Riesling Kabinett
 
 This light and delicate Riesling smelled of Vaseline and had an acceptable first sip.
However, the second sip quickly turned sweet; too sweet for us.
 
 
2012 Dr. Loosen Riesling Spatlese Wehlener Sonnenuhr
 
This silky Riesling reminded me of what I enjoyed when I first started drinking wine. It was nice to remember that time but even nicer to be able to appreciate how much my wine tastes have expanded.  I have nothing negative to say about this wine; it used to be a friend of mine. A friend that you don't forget but you just have nothing in common with anymore.
 

 
2011 Maximin Grunhaus Riesling Auslese-Abstberg

Welcome to your typical German Riesling, ladies and gentleman!
 At $82.99, you can enjoy liquid candy and I will not even ask you to share!
This wine should be baked in puff pastry as a dessert; not served as a liquid.

\
 
Thankfully, for us, there is Washington State wine available in the region of Germany which is referred to as my happy place.  As soon as the Riesling show was over, we immediately started searching for a big, voluptuous West Coast red!


 
 The 2011 Hedges Family Estate Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon saved our German wine trip from disaster!
Its dense colors, firm tannins and well-defined acidity was the epitome of Washington State style.
It even made the steak and cheese pizza sigh in delight.
Or wait, maybe that was me...

 
 
And the quote of the night goes to silly passport Brad:
 
"I love the smell of a Cabernet in the morning!
It smells like victory!"


 
A fun trip to Germany chock full of fantastic memories, a beautiful Riesling butt wine that made us release the Trocken, and a Washington State red that made the trip worthwhile.

 
 Sieg, in der Tat!

(Victory, indeed!)





No comments:

Post a Comment