Sunday, May 31, 2015

Ready, set let's ride.... in honor


Ready, set, let's ride.... in honor



"The Founders of Rolling Thunder®, Inc., Artie Muller and Ray Manzo, were ordinary men who understood that they had a right to have their voices heard and proceeded to lay down the plans for a gathering in Washington, D.C., during the 1988 Memorial Day weekend. They reached out to their families, fellow veterans and veteran's advocates to unify and form a march and demonstration in the nation’s capital. Their arrival would be announced by the roar of their motorcycles, a sound not unlike the 1965 bombing campaign against North Vietnam dubbed Operation Rolling Thunder. Hence, they would call themselves "Rolling Thunder," a title that would endure time and be trademarked in 1990.

Word spread quickly and by Memorial Day weekend in 1988, approximately 2,500 motorcycles from all over the country converged on Washington, D.C., to demand from our leaders a full accounting of all POW/MIA's. As the Founders of Rolling Thunder made their stand that day in front of the Capitol, they reflected thankfully for the people who came in support of the POW/ MIA's and for the unity that was felt. This was the first Rolling Thunder demonstration. On that day, the foundation was laid for the annual "Ride for Freedom" to the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall (also referred to as the "Ride to the Wall"). The number of participants/spectators in the Memorial Day weekend Ride for Freedom has grown from 2,500 to an estimated 900,000.


On the morning of Sunday, May 24, I was honored to be part of Rolling Thunder as I joined the bikers leaving the Harley Davidson dealership in Dumfries. As we rode up Route 1 to 95 North, I was in awe of those who lined the roads to see us, to witness this incredible sight and to honor those Americans who have been lost.  I vividly remember an elderly gentleman, who could barely stand, on the side of the road with his baseball hat on, holding a US flag watching in awe and I'm sure filled with emotion as we filed up Route 1. How I'd love to be able to sit down with him and listen to his story.. and to thank him for his service.

I cannot put into words what an impact this ride has had on my life but I am truly honored to have been part of it. Seeing my dad, who is a Vietnam Vet battling prostate cancer and fighting through chemotherapy, standing at the overpass as we drove up the highway gave me chills as equally as it made me proud. I specifically rode for him and for his fellow soldiers in Vietnam who were lost - Michael Thomas, Ronald Ward, Sgt. Ronald Rowell, and Harry Richardson, Jr. I thank God that Dad was able to see this miraculous sight instead of being a memory for who we were riding. Many others were not that fortunate.

It may have been my first Rolling Thunder but it surely will not be my last.











































No comments:

Post a Comment