Saturday, February 21, 2015

Under the Tuscan Grapevines

The Evil Red Genius and I went to Tuscany last night. Well, ok, maybe not literally but we did travel to Tuscany's world of wine at my happy place via Arthur and Don Paul. My buddy, Don, used to work at Winestyles but now works for Vinifera, an Italian wine importer.
 
 
 
I don't know much about Italian wines. Actually, I don't know much of anything about Italian wines, except I know I like Montepulciano and I think part of that is because I like saying the word.
 
How do I learn more about Italian wines though?
Taste and listen and that's exactly what we did on our trip!
 

Interesting fun fact: Italy is second in wine production by country with France being first; however, Italy exports the most wine.
 
 Tuscany has lots of sunlight and heat and is in the center of Italy. A rocky combination of limestone and clay make up the soil and it's usually hot during the day and cold at night in Tuscany. That's about all I retained this evening because I was all about trying the wines and not so much into the educational side of things. It had been a very emotional week and I needed an escape.
 
Mormoraia Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG 2011
San Gimignano, Tuscany
 
 
 This 100% Vernaccia wine immediately smelled like a French Chardonnay (which is a compliment). It had an overwhelmingly acidic taste though, especially at the end. It tasted like when you are standing in the ocean and a wave comes and smacks you in the face causing you to swallow an abundance of salt water.  Yeah, I don't waste wine but I also don't drink it if I don't like it.
My buddy, Steve, got the rest of this one. Too bad we didn't have cheese; that may have helped.


Tenuta Mormoraia Cianti Colli Senesi DOCG 2012
Siena, Tuscany

 
This Sangiovese/Merlot blend smelled better than it tasted. It has a slight dirty yet fruity smell; a nicely balanced aroma. As my new passport buddy, Brad, stated, "It's fruit that has gone past the five second rule". However, it didn't taste dirty at all. That made me sad.
 
Look closely at the tasting sheet description below.  5,500 cases made? B.S.! ha!
 
 
 
Fattoria Poggiopiano La Tradizione Chianti Classico DOCG 2007
San Casciano Val di Pesa, Tuscany

 
Another fun fact: The Sangiovese grape has been around since 17th Century BC!
Unfortunately, this wine smelled better than it tasted as well. It was rather medicinal to me.  While the tasting notes said this wine showed leather, I didn't get any leather flavors or aromas. However,   out of nowhere, Brad announced to our table, "I get the leather in my wine and in my life!"
 
 
It was with that exclamation and visual to go along with it that I burst into laughter during the presentation and couldn't stop. Don't worry, I apologized to Arthur for being obnoxious which he thought was nonsense.  Me being obnoxious? Impossible!
 
 
Castello di Romitorio Brunello di Montalcino DOCG 2007
Montalcino, Tuscany
 
 

This Brunello smelled of lightly smoked bacon and tasted of tart raspberries. It was the most tolerable of the wines at this point in the trip but it still didn't blow me away.  When Brad exclaimed, "It's all about the earth," my immediate and most natural response was to sing, "It's all about the earth, 'bout the earth, no leather".
 
At this point in our trip, we started getting a little punchy. Was it because we've been dealing with record low temps and snow for most of the week? Was it because we've been putting up with nonsense at work all week? Was it because I was so tired of being an emotional wreck that it just felt good to be silly and laugh? Yes, to all of those.
It's my happy place; anything goes!

 
Castello di Romitorio Il Toro IGT 2008
Scansano Maremma, Tuscany
 
 
45% Syrah, 45% Cab, 10% Petit Verdot
Now we're talking, Tuscany!
 
This wine smelled like smoked roadkill and tastes fantastic with a cheesecake aftertaste. Yep, I know, but I can't help what I smell and taste! This wine definitely stood out above the previous ones tasted.
 

 
Fattoria Poggiopiano Rosso di Sera IGT 2006
San Casciano Val di Pesa, Tuscany
 



Everyone knows the Evil Red Genius and I get excited about wines that have an incredible aroma. When we find a wine that we take our time smelling and don't even care to taste, you know it's good. This was one of those wines. In fact, all four of us at the table took turns moaning and sighing as we smelled this wine. It was quite entertaining. 

This was by far, THE BEST smell, taste and wine of the night for me. A perfect blend of ripe dark fruit with leather, graphite and oak on the nose with very rich vanilla, chocolate, black pepper and blackberry notes on the palette. 
Ah, I love a wine I can chew! (Naturally, my favorite one is $108.)

When I looked back at the name of this wine, I realized another reason why I enjoyed it so much.
It has my name in the title. Everyone should unleash their inner Val, right?

Terreno Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG 1997
Greve in Chianti, Tuscany

 
The last wine of the night was a pure treat - from 1997!
Notes of red fruit, tobacco, spice, fresh earth and truffle mushrooms that is smooth as silk to the taste!
 
It also is the wine that gave Brad his official nickname, "Mr. Anarchy". Poor guy. We sat together when we went to Chile and then he ended up with us again for our Tuscany trip. He thought he was safe until I got there. He's becoming one of us (insert devious laugh here) and he's gonna like it.
 

 
So I took my first trip to Tuscany. It wasn't really the trip that I had been dreaming of but it was definitely a super fun experience. After all, it's not always where you go or what you do, it's who you're with and I sure am grateful to have the best wine buddies out there!

 
"We don't explain; we just drink."
 

 
 
Wine gives a man nothing; it only puts in motion what is already there. ~ Samuel Johnson









No comments:

Post a Comment