Monday, September 22, 2014

Duck Donuts...where have you been my whole life?



Last fall, I was introduced to "Duck Donuts" in Kitty Hawk, NC in the Outer Banks. Yes, I've been going to the Outer Banks since I was in middle school and I've been in love with the place for not much longer after that time. I had heard of this doughnut place but I'm not much of a sweets fan, especially breakfast sweets. However, it was within walking distance of the house we rented and thought why not try it. One bite and I couldn't believe I had never been in there before!


 
 
Their website says, each donut is about 310 calories. So what?!  You're on vacation! That wine you drank last night is probably more than that and so was that fried seafood platter and the shrimp pasta in cream sauce. So eat the frickin' donut!!
 
 
This summer vacation we made it a point to go to the one in Kill Devil Hills since it was closest to Nags Head where we were staying and we ordered a dozen. What's a dozen between three people! This place is a tiny hole in the wall but it's where the magic happens.



You can actually watch your doughnuts as they are being prepared. They slowly come off the conveyor belt onto a big platter. Notice, I'm not telling you what happens before the conveyor belt - lard, lots of lard and hot grease.... but we don't need to think about that part....



 
A really nice lady then reads your order and makes the doughnuts pretty and delicious - made to order - chocolate frosting, lemon frosting, cinnamon, coconut, powdered sugar, sprinkles, butterscotch, you name it.

 
In about 10 minutes time, here ya go!! I saw people come in and just buy one doughnut. Some may call that restraint. I call it nonsense. Pure nonsense. You can never get enough of a good thing!
Well, at least if you only buy a dozen once (or twice) a year!


 
If you love doughnuts you definitely need to try these. If you like Krispy Kreme doughnuts and get excited about the "red light" being on, then you definitely need to try these.  The red light is always on because they are always hot and made just the way you want them. If you only care a slight bit about doughnuts, you still need to try them. These things will make you a doughnut lover. Trust me.
 
 
Until the next trip south....... here's to you, Duck Donuts!!
 I won't ever make a trip to the OBX without stopping in Duck Donuts now!
 
 
"I owe it all to little chocolate donuts."
-John Belushi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment