Monday, April 6, 2015

A Spanish wine that just MIGHT be worth it


I admit it.
I don't know much about Spanish wines.
However, I do know that the majority of the ones I have tried have not turned me into the president of the Spanish wine fan club. 

 When someone says the words "Spanish wine" I always think of Tempranillo and I have never met a Tempranillo that I liked. If it's a blend with Tempranillo, then it's usually ok, but on its own Tempranillo does nothing for me.

I do recall a Spanish red from Priorat that I enjoyed a few years ago; so much so that I bought a bottle and put it my cellar to save for a special occasion.
Priorat is an area known for producing high-quality cult reds.... hmmmm... just an interesting fun fact.

A few months ago, I was told that I would enjoy "Clio" and, while it wasn't inexpensive, it was worth it. Arthur knows my taste better than anyone and has never steered me wrong. I took this Spanish red (eye roll) home, I properly stored it and decided to save it for a "rainy day".

 One evening after work, I wanted a glass of wine. A glass of red wine. A glass of really good red wine. But I only wanted one glass and I wanted to be able to drink it in comfy clothes, with my glasses on, my hair in a knot and in front of my television with the furry love of my life. 
(Perhaps I really wanted something to just drown out the horrid so-called talent on this season of American Idol. Yeah, I watch it. Don't judge.)
I took the long trip down the stairs to my in-home bar (which is still in progress but has all the necessities already) and came upon Clio was lying there smiling at me.

2012
Bodegas El Nido "Clio" Jumilla


Clio is from Spain. I tried not to let that sway me.

It is 70% Old Vine Monastrell which threw me for a minute. Monastrell? What is that?  Then I realized Monastrell is the same grape as Mouvedre and I've enjoyed Mouvedre.  Ok, I can handle this one. This grape is thought to have originated in Spain and is second only to Grenache in the number of acres of vines in the country. Clio is also 30% Cab so a little Cab is better than no Cab at all. Clio is barrel-aged in French and American oak for 22-26 months - sounds good so far. I'm intrigued.

 Clio supposedly was bold, flavorful and thick with a long decadent finish.
How could I not be excited about that description?

On the nose, I got ripe plum, blackberry and pomegranate from the thick, opaque purple-colored wine. If chocolate fruit grew from trees and I could pluck them off and eat them, then the liquid form would be Clio. On the palette was a bursting piece of fruit, with a hint of chocolate and maybe a quick pop of clove on the finish. Sounds interesting, but honestly, I wasn't getting the expected decadence or the boldness that this was wine is known for.  A piece of Ghiradelli hazelnut chocolate toned down the bursting fruit flavor and an hour later, Clio even had a bit of a licorice aftertaste.


Trying new wines is always an interesting experience to me. You never know what to expect and sometimes you are pleasantly surprised. Sometimes it's not a nice surprise. Regardless, it is always an interesting experience. I enjoy seeing how the wine changes.. with food, with chocolate, even by just sitting in a glass and opening up for an hour (the wine, not me).

With that being said, I am curious how Clio will taste when I decant the rest of the bottle one day. While the Coravin is one of the best investments I have ever made, it still isn't meant to replace the purpose of a decanter. It simply allows me to have a glass of wine when I'm not going to drink the entire bottle and it still be preserved. That, in itself, is brilliant!

Perhaps when Clio is decanted, it will show its boldness and decadent nature.
It has definite potential and I will hold out hope for this unique Spanish wine.

My dear Clio, you will live to fight another day!




We all need something to help us unwind at the end of the day. You might have a glass of wine, or a joint, or a big delicious blob of heroin to silence your silly brainbox of its witterings but there has to be some form of punctuation, or life just seems utterly relentless.”
Russell Brand, My Booky Wook


No comments:

Post a Comment